Automatic zf4hp22 oil cooler help

dirtyninety

Wondering what oil cooler to fit to my autobox, The original disco cooler is the wrong shape to fit in my challenge truck.

Also, what thread does the auto box have, M18 male or M16 male (or female i forget)?

Looking at Mocal oil coolers there a lots of different capacities.

There are two sizes as they have a male to male reducer (the standard pipe connection is larger than the thread into the box) on them.

From measuring the reducer you will either need a m20 fine (1.5) female connection to go on the reducer or if you do as I did and replace the reducer then you will need a M16 fine (1.5) male.

I replaced the reducers to convert them in to -8JIC connectors.

I just took the reducers to ThinkAuto and had them match it.

Edit

Found offline copy of PDF (as their web site seem broken) and I bought 2

MMS2-8-65 -8JIC x M16x1.5 to replace the reducers

Excellent, i was reading on some forums that there are "old" and "new" auto box's, older ones used a m16 and newer ones use a m18 (or the other way around) it didnt mention when the old type ended and what year new type started!

My autobox is out of a 200tdi discovery, what year i don't know, as i only purchased the box.

Also, would i be able to use "push on" connections and jubilee clips or does the auto-box oil pump produce to much pressure?

I popped rubber hose onto the steel tubes. There was surface rust so I reconed I'd get away without the ribbed pipe ends. And as far as we know, the non-electronic ZF4 we have is on a bypass. Then we used a 16 'oxford' style oil cooler. (the ones they sell as engine coolers).

Ashcroft's advised me that the oil runs the other way round when the torque converter locks up, I aksed because I was thinking of adding an in line filter on my new 'box.

If I understand correctly they also advise the P38 had M18 unions, the RRC had M16 unions. I'm not sure if all boxs swapped over in 1995/6 or not though. There's advice on their website.