Td5 defender rattle at high revs

Hello chaps. Got a gearbox rattle from my 03 90 td5. I've had the rattle a long time now and it hasn't got any worse, just got more on my tits. But I can't find it!! It happens at high revs in all gears, I can't tell you the exact revs but at 60-65mph in 5th is where it really gets on song. At 70 the car is massively quieter. I can also get the rattle in neutral by revving hard. It seems to come from the tunnel area and is a tinny metallic rattle. The propshafts are spot on before I get a telling off for not greasing them, I have learnt my lessons from lack of propshafts husbandry..

I have no other rattles, the car has done 73k miles now. I cannot reduce the rattle in any way by wrestling with either of the gear levers. And it does it with the clutch down.

Any ideas?

Many thanks!

Well I've spent the best part of an evening randomly poking and pulling on things underneath, and I can't find anything really standing out, apart from the flexible joint in the down pipe creaks when bent. I can't get the cat to rattle by hitting it but do u reckon this could be the noise? It's a very harmonic tinny rattle, and it happens almost precisely at high revs, doesn't necessarily need to be under load but is more apparent when going up through the gears. It sounds like gears rattling to me, almost like the clutch bearing is chattering? But it does it even with the clutch down

Cheers

Ash

• 6 months later...

Hi Ash - I just found your post and it sounds almost identical to the latest rattle that my 2003 TD5 90 has recently. Did you ever findout what was causing the rattle or have you resorted to the time honoured tradition of turning the radio up?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 8 years later...
  • 1 year later...

Had the high pitch bell sound that is described above, Just thought i would write in to say what it was. (disco 2 TD5) There's a kind of steering stabilizer shock absorber between the two front wheels. There is a metal cover on that shock that was loose and ringing when revs were high.

As already mentioned try the vibration dampers. If they are not the issue, the handbrake mechanism can rattle (including the shoes against the backplate if not assembled correctly) and exhaust silencers can rattle. The front exhaust flexi can also make funny noises but I wouldn’t  say it was a rattle! 
Good luck! 
Toby