Where to put my airbox and my webasto heater...

I think anything less than a tdi size filter might strangle it a little especially if its been open up.

Really doubt it will make any difference whatsoever, people run TD or TDI filters on 190+BHP V8s with no issues, in fact the RRC V8 filter box is WAY smaller than even the 2.5 petrol filter box I used, and doesn't strangle my upgraded V8 at all...

Guest wunntenn

Posted Today, 04:12 PM

Meaty ... I have seen armour plate thinner.

There was me thinking alloy where ever possible. Poor old Defenders have enough to do to shift themselves.

In any event that is only the water pump and not the complete unit?

I would have put it as far away from the hot bits as possible.

Meaty? I didn't think the extra few pounds of steel would make much difference, and it means it wont wobble!

Thats a complete D4W unit, 4KW output, uses .25L diesel an hour. Very compact, about the size of a decent dictionary.

Its been fine in there for over 10 years. It's able to cope with its own heat output well enough and the proximity to the manifold hasn't bothered it. Only real bugger was a mechanic who fannied about with the wiring whilst welding on some new exhaust flanges for me forgot to re-tie them and they wandered over and touched the exhaust downpipe and frazzled them. Unfortunately the wires are connected to the ecu in the Eberspacher so it wasn't a cheap repair. That aside it a good unit and I've replaced several worn out bits over the years easily enough.

Really doubt it will make any difference whatsoever, people run TD or TDI filters on 190+BHP V8s with no issues, in fact the RRC V8 filter box is WAY smaller than even the 2.5 petrol filter box I used, and doesn't strangle my upgraded V8 at all...

As i understand it the 2.5l tdi running at 1 bar of boost will suck in as much air as a 5.0l V8? i should hope a 5.0l V8 is putting out more than 190bhp.

I also have plenty of experience of tdi's sluggishly accelerating due to blocked/clogged air filters.

This is just my 2p quite happy to be proved wrong.

Will.

5.0l V8 - yes the theory stands, however V8s rev a lot higher than TDIs -my understanding anyways :)

But as to the maths, 2.5TDI @ 1bar, at 4000rpm, assuming no losses is 8000l/min, 3.9V8 NA @ 5500rpm = 11000l/min -almost 50% more.

I agree clogged filters are always going to cause problems, however LR filters are designed to run in the worst possible dusty conditions(think north Africa), so have a really healthy margin of tolerance before problems are caused. So... in this country where the only things to block filters are leaves and the occasional kittens(and a blue tit or two) I really don't think a well maintained truck should have any problems at all.

:)

Meaty? I didn't think the extra few pounds of steel would make much difference, and it means it wont wobble!

Thats a complete D4W unit, 4KW output, uses .25L diesel an hour. Very compact, about the size of a decent dictionary.

Its been fine in there for over 10 years. It's able to cope with its own heat output well enough and the proximity to the manifold hasn't bothered it. Only real bugger was a mechanic who fannied about with the wiring whilst welding on some new exhaust flanges for me forgot to re-tie them and they wandered over and touched the exhaust downpipe and frazzled them. Unfortunately the wires are connected to the ecu in the Eberspacher so it wasn't a cheap repair. That aside it a good unit and I've replaced several worn out bits over the years easily enough.

I was doing some thinking yesterday and you would need quite a think bit of steel to support a few kg's on a flat bracket, it was more an observation rather than critisism. I ordered some 8mm alu plate yesterday, see if I can have a play around making some kind of bracket, I can work Alu a lot easy than steel due to my tooling capacity at the moment.

Guest wunntenn

No criticism taken! I was amused that anyone would be surprised by the addition of a perfectly respectable chunk of steel onto an overengineered land barge! Good luck wiht the ally!

Aye, well will let you know how I get on. The Alu can either allow me make a bracket for re-mounting the airbox onto the AC mount or make a deep chassis bracket for mounting the burner unit.

Not quite decided which will just now, just going to pull it all apart and try verious configurations! The closer I can get the heater to the input means less water pipework, so I'm using that as a priority case.

• 2 weeks later...

Right peeps, got a bit of an update... Moved into a new house/garage on Friday, so priorities first i got straight under the bonnet of the truck!

Well I purchased some 8mm thick still plate and did some fettling... think the pictures tell the story... hose/pipe work is a bit temporary, but will make up some nice pipework in the fullness of time. I've now got a hugemongus space for the likes of my Webesto heater and winch solenoid etc.

Before...

post-20087-0-20462700-1317193139_thumb.jpg

After...

post-20087-0-35476700-1317193012_thumb.jpg

post-20087-0-92673100-1317193027_thumb.jpg

post-20087-0-13947800-1317193040_thumb.jpg

post-20087-0-03131100-1317193067_thumb.jpg

post-20087-0-77024300-1317193100_thumb.jpg