Garrbox Noise

Peterla

I have a Disco 200tdi with a R380 gearbox installed. I think this is the case because the reverse is on the same side as the 5th gear.

I have a good whine when running about 70 to 90km/hr that is more noticable under load.

If am am towing it is much more noticable. If I thottle off the noise reduces.

It is thier in both 4th and 5th gear.

I suspect this is gear noise as if it was bearing noise I would expect it to be their all the time.

Could this noise be comming from the transfer case?

:unsure:

I will be pulling the gearbox out in the next couple of months so any ideas what to look for would be appreciated.

Pete

I think I'd start with a an oil change in both boxes and make sure you have ATF or MTF in the gearbox and not EP90. The R380 can't take EP90 for long as it's too thick for the internal pump to handle.

You should have EP90 in the transfer box and the oils in both should be clean and at teh correct level. ;)

My R380 has a worn mainshaft (due to a slight lack of oil galleries on the early boxes...) and behaves like that. The whine is there at lower speeds but nowhere near as obvious - easier to hear with the window down.

That said, I don't recall what it sounded like before the mainshaft wear (it was my parents truck), so maybe it always sounded like that!

I have replaced both oils in the gearbox and transfer case with the reccomended oil.

I was hooping this would make a difference but the noise was still the same.

The oil that came out was clean and I have the correct levels in both now.

Looks like a strip down will required.

Thanks for your comments

I have replaced both oils in the gearbox and transfer case with the reccomended oil.

I was hooping this would make a difference but the noise was still the same.

The oil that came out was clean and I have the correct levels in both now.

Looks like a strip down will required.

Thanks for your comments

as the noise is there in 4th and 5th I would suggest this is likly to be from the transfer case, are you able to get it on a wheels free ramp in the air, put it in diff lock and get it upto 40 or 50 MPH with someone underneath listening ?

That sound like the way to go.

Not too keen on standing it on jacks while going 40 -50 MPH.

I will aproach some local mechanics and see if a carton of beer gets their hydralic lift for 10 minutes.

It was intersing to find the same noise appeared at around 40 Km/hr when I was in low range with the centre diff locked.

Thanks for the advice.