another problem!! power steering pipe!!

all was going well yesterday, the steering box came off and went in quite nicely, only took about 3 hours..get to the very last bit before adding fluid in..and the union on the power steering pipe had somehow been damaged in the process and would not screw down..i was Peeeed off to say the least!!

my question is does anybody know where / or has a spare one lying around, i can get one..its the pipe from the pump to the box that runs under the radiator..and its a defender TD5 2000X

i mite be able to use a die to repair the thread but i dont have a set..maybe the local garage could do it?

Are you absolutely certain it's damaged? When I did mine that pipe was an absolute nightmare to get connected, it would look like it was lined up but wouldn't screw in. Turned out it wasn't lined up dead straight, I swore a lot and I finally got it to line up but I was contemplating undoing the steering box and then connecting up the pipe. Anyway if you have actually seen the thread damaged please ignore me.

Mine was an earlier defender, not sure if it makes any difference..

Edited by CwazyWabbit

At least isnt just me who had a nightmare with it haha..yes I removed the pipe so I could get a good luck at the thread, and it is damaged..looks like island 4x4 do the pipe set for £60 but I only need the one

I believe this may be the little buggar but it dosent have a pic

http://www.johncraddockltd.co.uk/products/rtc5674_banjo_union_seteering_box.php

Think a thread repair mite be the best option to start with, will have a work with my local garage

I don't know where that part corresponds too, think it might be off a different pipe system to the td5 western

Thinking about having the pipe made up at a local hydraulics place.. Anyone had any work like that done? Should work out cheaper than buying the part which is £29 from island 4x4

Guest wunntenn

I did my steering box in fine style and then spent longer trying to the effing pipe nut in. What a bloody nighmare - in December in the snow, outside and not something I'd care to repeat. You have my sympathy!

I don't know where that part corresponds too, think it might be off a different pipe system to the td5 western

Thinking about having the pipe made up at a local hydraulics place.. Anyone had any work like that done? Should work out cheaper than buying the part which is £29 from island 4x4

same part as you linked to craddocks in your reply earleir.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I believe this http://www.brit-car.co.uk/product.php?xProd=127814 QEP105122 is the pipe/hose assembly you require

post-20-0-92542500-1315863278_thumb.jpg

Sorry for the confusion western I think I was lookin at the wrong part on craddocks

Yes the part you've show is the one..I thought the link from craddocks was the union on the end of that pipe, my bad!

What do you think to getting one made up or should I just go with the OEM part, britpart I believe it is

Thanks

i have the day off work tomorrow..sooo

i plan on removing said pipe, try to rethread the union, and then go to a local hydraulic place and get a new pipe made up if there is any signs of wear on it...they said it should be no problem after describing the pipe to them :rolleyes: