Auxillary driving lamps

duncmc

My auxillary driving lamps do not work. The previous owner fitted new lamps so I guess they didn't work then either.

I had decided that the relay was faulty, and if I manually made the contact they do work, so the main circuit is ok. I have forgotten if the circuit from the switch to the relay is ok, but i did test it with the multi meter - I am going to have to do it again though to check.

When I press the auxillary lamp switch it does not light up like the rear fogs do, and has no bulb in it, should it light up?

I have just fitted a second hand relay, but they still do not work, even with a second that I had ordered.

So, could the lack of a warning bulb prevent the circuit from operating?

I am going to check the switch and continuiting of wiring to the relay next.

I have just tested my relays on the bench with a known 12V supply and they are fine. So tomorrow I will check the continuity of the wiring from the switch to the relay. I also know i am getting 12V to the switch when the ignition and head lights are on.

My question still stands; will the switch work if the warning illumination bulb is missing? I will test that on the bench tomorrow too.

My question still stands; will the switch work if the warning illumination bulb is missing? I will test that on the bench tomorrow too.

Yes it should work fine with no illumination. I suggest the switch is broken, or you have a duff earth on the back of the switch and/or at the lamps.

Yes it should work fine with no illumination. I suggest the switch is broken, or you have a duff earth on the back of the switch and/or at the lamps.

Thanks Bowie69. I recon its most likely a duff switch then. The lamps do come on when I manually made the circuit closed at the relay so the earth must be ok.

I will see if I can pick up another switch at the breakers tomorrow when i am there.

I didn't get to look at the switch or wiring today, but the switch is working ok according to the multimeter. The wiring from the switch to the relay also is continuos with no breaks.

I am thinking now that it the supply to the switch that is at fault, as I only get 2.2V with the ignition and headlamps on at the switch. It has been a long time, but i am sure that should be 12V, but just carrying a small current. Anyway I get the 2.2V at the relay too. That is without the engine running, after an hours drive, and get 12V+ at the battery.

I need to have a look at the wiring diagram next then back to more investigation. Looks like i will be taking the lower dash of again!

My above post is slightly incorrect. It is 0.22V that I have at the switch. And I only get 0.22V at the A2 fuse also when the ingnition and main beam are on. There are also a couple of other fuses that are at that voltage, all the rest are at 13V. Seems a bit suspect to me. Back to the manual to find out where A2 fuse is supplied from.

Check the wiring stud in the drivers footwell for tighness and wire condition, sounds like something is very amiss.... You can see it on the other side of the bulkhead too, the starter wire goes to it.

I was taking my earth point for my Voltage checks at the earth stud in the drivers footwell on the A post. Is that the one you mean for me to check?

This one is right in the rootwell, above where the clutch pedal would be if we were all uncooth :P

This stud is the pass-through from the battery positive terminal, via the starter motor, and feeds via a load of brown wires the fusebox and other bits.

This one is right in the rootwell, above where the clutch pedal would be if we were all uncooth :P This stud is the pass-through from the battery positive terminal, via the starter motor, and feeds via a load of brown wires the fusebox and other bits.

Thanks Bowie69. I will do that on Sunday. I also have a suspicion that I was checking the wrong fuse!!!!!! It has been a couple of long HOT days without much sleep.

Well, just been out in the dark. There is nothing wrong with the driving lamps at all!

They only come on when main beam is on! No wonder I couldn't figure out why they would not work when the headlights where on. The workshop manual says that the drving lamps are dimp-dip (UK) only so I assumed that meant that they should come on with normal headlights.

Oh well at least it works.