2001 TD4 Handbrake Function?

kiwi_110

The handbrake on The Kids Freebie has never been that good in the time we've owned it. The handle would only come up two clicks and the Freebie would still creep on a hill. Finally got around to pulling off the drums and having a decko. Found the handbrake cable adjustment wound right up to the max under the centre console. Drivers side shoes fouled with with fluid leaking from the slave cylinder.

Sprang for new slave cylinders and shoes and refitted today. Bled the cylinders and reset the shoes to the drums and wound the handbrake adjustment until I had a bit more movement in the handle. Still quite dissappointed in the holding of the handbrake on a hill though. Does not actually seem to be any better than before.

Does anyone else have a problem with the handbrake effectiveness (or inneffectiveness!)??

Ray.

As you state not a very good parking brake, main problems seem to be sticking on and adjusters not working. I fitted new shoes and drums, wheel cylinders were OK, lubricated all the moving parts and repaired the self adjusters (bent the spring steel back in line) which cured the sticking brakes but didn't do much in the way of improving efficiency. I know the rear brake design was changed on later models but this still doesn't seem to have solved the problem, just grateful that I bought the automatic model.

Cleaning up the drums will only be a temporary solution, if it works at all, as after a few brake applications they will just become glazed again. Most of the braking effort, about 80%, is supplied by the front discs so your rear drums will always become glazed.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Mine is rubbish, I have to pull it on hard to work. The wife can't release then and she can't pull it on hard enough!

Then fix it so it doesn't need to be pulled on so hard? It is only lack of maintenance that makes them ineffective.

When the main dealer was looking after my wife's 2006 TD4 the handbrake got progressively less effective, a quick strip, clean & adjust and it has since been perfect. In addition it is also light in operation, so much so that my wife can lock it on & release it without any real effort.