Transferbox Fitting Problem

Hi all.

Had some fun and games today trying to fit a replacement transferbox to my defender. I managed to get the new box into position on the shaft, but couldnt get it all the way home; it seems the oil seal that sits flush with the mating face of the t'box doesnt want to slide onto the 'shoulder' on the shaft. I didnt want to put too much pressure on it in case I knackered the seal, or pushed it inside the t'box housing.

The seal isnt new but looks fine, will get a replacement and have another go on thursday. Any suggestions on what I could try next would be gratefully received :)

It seems more likely to me that the splines on the gearbox output are not lined up with those on the transfer input. Try engaging diff lock then twiddle the output flange while pushing the transfer box. I'd replace the seal anyway and the output seal on the gearbox while you have the chance anyway.

If you have tried turning everything and you still don't get anywhere, there is another thing to try.

Has this replacement transfer box had it's input gear changed to a new improved splined one ?

Been there and it wont close the gap as the shoulder won't go inside the new gear. Can you take the input gear out and confirm that it will actually go on

It seems more likely to me that the splines on the gearbox output are not lined up with those on the transfer input. Try engaging diff lock then twiddle the output flange while pushing the transfer box. I'd replace the seal anyway and the output seal on the gearbox while you have the chance anyway.

I was under the impression that by the time the t'box was that far on the shaft, the splines would already be lined up and engaged? It is only perhaps 8mm from being home, which is the same width of the seal/shoulder.

I did give the flange a turn or two but just presumed it was already engaged on the shaft :wacko:

If you have tried turning everything and you still don't get anywhere, there is another thing to try.

Has this replacement transfer box had it's input gear changed to a new improved splined one ?

Been there and it wont close the gap as the shoulder won't go inside the new gear. Can you take the input gear out and confirm that it will actually go on

Dont know the history of the box, but was removed from a low milage disco. When you say the shoulder wont go inside the input gear, I can see plenty of clearance inside the t'box 'behind' the oil seal?

Hi,

I would guess it's one of 2 things :

1) if it's an auto you may need a new coupling shaft with the longer spline,

http://www.ashcroft-transmissions.co.uk/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=47

2) you should have 2 dowels, one big hollow one at the top and one smaller lower stepped dowel, you may have 2 in one location and they are fouling,

Dave

I don't think that you have the same problem as I had as you haven't fitted a new input gear by the sounds but I thought I'd post as it had the same symptom as you.

When fitting a recon LT77 to my 200tdi conversion 90 last month I also bought a second hand discovery transferbox (1:22). I also bought the relevent crossdrilled input gear for that case. When mating the two boxes together I couldn't get them to go fully home, all but 20mm or so. I scratched my head for a bit and then after a few brews I realised that when I replaced my old input gear, the transfer box had an oil feed plate previously fitted to help against spline wear. I didn't realise that if fitting a new cross drilled gear and your tx/box has the oil feed plate it has to be removed or the gearbox won't mate up fully.

Jack

take the round plate on the back of the transfer box off it should then push home had the same problem,then use the plate off your old transfer box

Thanks for the advice steve, will try taking the plate and input gear out tomorrow.

Hi,

I would guess it's one of 2 things :

1) if it's an auto you may need a new coupling shaft with the longer spline,

http://www.ashcroft-...od&productId=47

2) you should have 2 dowels, one big hollow one at the top and one smaller lower stepped dowel, you may have 2 in one location and they are fouling,

Dave

Thanks for your reply Dave, it's a manual, and I have already checked the dowels as per the thread in the tech archive; I can't see anything physically obstructing the mating surfaces :wacko: I presume if I take off the PTO cover and pull out the input gear, if they dont go together I will be able to see what is causing the problem?

I don't think that you have the same problem as I had as you haven't fitted a new input gear by the sounds but I thought I'd post as it had the same symptom as you.

When fitting a recon LT77 to my 200tdi conversion 90 last month I also bought a second hand discovery transferbox (1:22). I also bought the relevent crossdrilled input gear for that case. When mating the two boxes together I couldn't get them to go fully home, all but 20mm or so. I scratched my head for a bit and then after a few brews I realised that when I replaced my old input gear, the transfer box had an oil feed plate previously fitted to help against spline wear. I didn't realise that if fitting a new cross drilled gear and your tx/box has the oil feed plate it has to be removed or the gearbox won't mate up fully.

Jack

Interesting - I will try taking off the PTO cover and taking out the input gear; as above - presumably I will at least be able to see what is causing the problem?