v8 power steering

Boro

I want to fit a metric 4 bolt power steering box to my early rangerover which currently has a 3 bolt imperial box, the engine is a 4.2 (from an early lse) and currently has the standard 4.2 non serp pas pump which i presume is imperial, does anyone know if there is a power steering pump available for this engine which has metric connections and is non serp as if at all possible i would like to try and get away without having to run a custom hose, thanks

The 4.2 would have had a metric pump originally, any Range Rover engine post 1985 (ish) should have a metric pump. It may be that the hose you have is already a custom made one as, when fitting the 4.2 they'd have either had to find and fit an imperial pump or make up a pipe to suit.

I'd have thought a pump off a 3.9 none serpentine would fit assuming the 4.2 has a similar belt arrangement.

Right so should be metric already, nothing for it really but to remove that hose and see, i was just trying not to as i need to be able to drive it and draining fluid to check only to have to put fluid back in short term just seems a waste (dont think i have anything clean to drain it into), do you happen to know whether the fitting in the pump on the 4.2 should be to take a hose with a flare or an o ring? the box and hoses i have are for the o ring fittings, thanks

Funny you should mention that fridgefreezer as i happened across such a thing on an australian landrover forum, someone was doing an adapter for converting from the o ring fitting in the pas box to the earlier radius type seat fitting, the only new pas lines that seem to be readily available for sensible money are the later o ring type (same as my disco pas box) its only really the pump end thats the issue but having given it a bit of thought i recon i may be able to simple swap the fitting on the pump over (if mines radius seat) for a later one from a disco with the o ring seat