Snowy winter driving

PGM316

I'm the same, I've taken a greater interest in the weather. But all I seem to find out is you can't forecast far into the future :D

Very true, I keep a close eye on the weather for my fishing and it seems they can only forecast the next 12 hours with any accuracy.

Lol I too am the same :)

Welcome to weather geeks anonymous...... 'Hi, I have a weather obsession, it all started when I bought a Land Rover..... can you help me?' ;)

Good one! :hysterical:

Whilst we are thinking about snow, any tips for driving in it? I've bought my first Defender this year and expect I'll want to be out in the white stuff as otherwise the beast will look daft sitting on the drive whilst I walk about falling on my backside.

I'm also one of those really hoping for snow. There's a chap who posts on one of the aviation forums who runs weatherweb.net called Simon. He not only has some websites which are particularly good for looking at the weather charts (let's you see different model forecasts as well as skew T's etc) he has recently been uploading near daily videos on how he thinks the weather is looking.

I'd reccomend watching them as he's usually fairly accurate in general terms, and when he changes his forecasts he explains why.

His videos can be found here http://www.weatherweb.net/wxwebtv.htm

As for driving in the snow I think one of the main things to think about is momentum. There are times when you want it and times when you definately don't. When it is bad I much prefer driving on quiet side roads than the busier ones.

Thought I'd throw this pic up for you guys... the wife took it in Feb this year.... we had about 17 feet of snow fall in town to that date. This year we've had snow on the ground for the past 3/4 weeks & am currently driving around on ice on most of the side roads. Good quality studded winter tires make a huge difference in driving on ice & snow, also having the CDL installed on my D2 reduces the work the traction control does too.

Our first winter in Canada after emigrating in '07 from Derby was a real eye opener... and a steep learning curve. Now, as soon as the first snow arrives, on go the winter tires & out comes the winter travel kit. That includes a bug out bag, warm blankets, snow shovels & emergency food.

Safe driving & enjoy the snow if you get some..... 4 wheel power slides are soooo much fun :~)

IMGP0732_1024x768.jpg

I hate English weather; while other countries get the interesting extremes of hot long summers and feet of snow at winter, we get year round drearyness, only that its a bit colder in winter and less cold in summer...

Come on! We do have something that not many others have... The almost total unpredictability of our weather! It's the reason the weather is such a talked about topic - wouldn't it be boring getting the same weather year after year and having nothing to moan about or hope for?! :ph34r:

There's always a positive side of looking at things!

hi everyone,brought a 2003 g4challenge defender in the summer,not had 4wheel drive before.is there any special way of driving in the snow or ice,any tips be appreciated . :wacko:

Congrats on your purchase !

Don't forget that a 4x4 only provides more traction but is heavy too which will increase your braking distances compared to smaller motors.

Make sure you have decent tyres (I use decent quality AT's which are rated for snow. They work well by swiss standard).

Forget the brakes, plan ahead and use engine breaking. I would use high range most of the time.

When pulling out, do it at tickover without using the accelerator to avoid wheelspin (and loss of traction). And if you struggle engage difflock (you should have ABS/traction control which will be ace in snow!)

Just take it easy, find a car park and learn how it behaves.

HTH