Freelander thefts/security - are they stolen more than 'normal&#39

SimonTemplar

Good morning all,

I hope that this counts as technical enough for the site, apologies if not.

I own a Defender, and am very familiar with the risk of theft and the need to be vigilant about where I leave it etc. I have a bit of security on there and am sensible with it.

We are intending to buy a Freelander, too, a Freelander 1. My simple question is, do these tend to get pinched more than normal, too? I assume that it is not as big a problem as with Defenders, but does anyone on here have a view on whether they tend to be stolen more than 'normal' cars? How vigilant will I need to be, do you all think?

Apologies if this is a naiive question, or not technical enough for the forum.

Thank you in advance,

ST

Apparently the top 10 most stoled vehicles in the first quarter of this year were...

1) Ford Transit

2) Vauxhall Astra

3) Ford Fiesta

4) Volkswagen Golf

5) Vauxhall Corsa

6) BMW 3 Series

7) Ford Focus

8) Mercedes-Benz Sprinter

9) Ford Mondeo

10) Honda Civic

Not a Land Rover in site, however that's probably due to volume of sales more than anything, very hard to find meaningful stats :(

Defenders are far more valuable as there is strong demand for steal-to-order and they're easy and profitable to break for parts. Never heard anything about Freebies being targeted any more than other cars.

Also you can't open a Freelander with a spoon like you can with a Defender.

Thank you both for the replies - tough, always, to work out how statistics apply to different areas, as they are generally national; around where I live, Land Rovers of one sort or another seem to be more common than most cars. Glad to hear that two experienced LR fans such as yourselves are not aware of any particular issues with the Freelander. Guess when I get it I know which way round to park the Freelander and the Defender on the drive!

Thanks again.

ST

I wish someone would steal mine, but alas it hasnt happened yet :(

On a serious note, i think as FF says, they are harder to get into, less desirable to thieves and also have an alarm and immobiliser fitted unlike many older defenders.