Early 90 Lockable Fuel Cap

Gents,

My exisiting fuel cap is non lockable so bought the following from ebay:

Will fit Land Rover 90/110 from 1986 to 1998.

Equivalent Land Rover part number for reference only STC4072

The item was fine but it is clearly too small and doesnt fit albeith my 90 is a C plate I though the 86 should be fine.

So, what filler cap do i have? Can you get a lockable filler cap fro my type? Does the old Series 3 hasp and stable type lockable cap fit?

Your help and advice as always is appreciated.

All the best.

G :)

My 86 C plate 110 has the Series style with the hasp and staple.

It's the early wide type that has the inner sleeve that comes out. I believe it was that big to allow them to be filled from military bowsers. It's great for filling with Jerry cans as it comes out form the vehicle side.

My 1986 ex-MOD 90 also has the extension on the filler-neck but uses the locking cap mentioned above so I can't see why yours doesn't fit.

It was the first thing I bought when I got the vehicle (12-years ago) and was a direct replacement for the non-locking plastic one that was fitted in service.

I don't thnk the fuel type has anything to do with it. The early non-locking type (incl. my own) has a 3-lug cap with a huge diameter filler neck, pretty sure the series ones were 2-lug. I think the extendible filler spout was an option.

The later locking cap is 2-lug, has a much smaller dia filler neck, and was fitted from about D-reg trucks onward.

To swap cap types you'll also need to replace the filler neck, and filler hose.

Also I believe there is a difference in venting arrangements. The large cap has a vent in it with not much more than a piece of gauze held in place with a split pin; it likes to leak if parked on steep inclines (off road).

Edited by mickeyw

mmmmmm, if I only I could find the original cap to check...... :rolleyes:

It may be that I could weld a lug on the old cap (wherever it is) like the old series 3 ones and fit a hasp like the series motors.

Or just look for a filler neck and rubber.... They are a bit spendy new though.

I may just keep an eye on ebay in the meentime.

Thanks a lot though guys! I thought this thread would wither away and die. :D

Cheers

G