I Got A Tic

tuko

After playing in Norway for a week this summer, the motor has developed a tic. I have no idea if driving 15 hours, towing a trailer, has anything to do with it ( we motored directly home, thanks to the sh!tty weather. )

I adjusted the valves yesterday, number one was open a little further than the .010, but the remaining 2 - 8 were all ok. Now, the tic is even more pronounced.

I'm wondering if I have a bent push rod ?

Then, I was talking to the old man ( back in CND, no, it wasn't Dave ;) ), he said that it sounded as if I have a burnt valve. He said that they are the same symthoms, he had, when he had a burnt valve.

So, now I'm stuck, whats causing my tics ? Do I just order 8 new push rods and a few valves , before pulling the head? Is there something else, I should be looking at?

BTW, I have an Automotive Engineering Stage 1 head, thats about 7 years old.

Any useful tic suggestions?

Todd.

First, check that your rockers aren't worn, i.e. the surface that pushes the valve stem. Sometimes they wear in a U shape so when you're inserting the feeler gauge you bridge over it and get a gap that's too big.

In my mind, I can't see why a push rod should have been bent, but there is a rather complicated bunch of thingies further down at the cam with rollers etc. They can apparantly be worn flat here and there and cause a tapping noise.

I've had this "once in a revolution" ticking in my diesel for three years now, never been able to trace it...

When my 300 Tdi developed a ticking noise I also started with checking valve clearence, then changed the valve caps. In my case it was a busted head gasket but it was very hard to hear from where the noise came so most people I asked for opinions suggested the valves.

Thanks for the replies guys,

as a matter of fact, the valve cover has within the last few weeks developed a leak and oil is seaping out at one side. I'll have to give that a go, John.

Lars,

I thought I had problems, man, 3 years and you haven't figured it out yet??? :lol::lol::lol:

Another point, is that there has been no lose in performance.

Todd.

Phoned AEC this morning and the guy there is under the belief it's the tappets.

He said, if the motor was rebuilt ( which it was ) and the tappets were replaced ( jupp, on that one ), they could have been replaced with after market ones, which were of dubious quality.

I checked the valve cover, absolutely no marks on the insides. Rechecked the valves. Ran the engine with the oil filler cap off, and there is absolutely no noise at the top end. I hear the noise more on the distributor side of the motor and it appears to be under the head.

So, I think I'll be ordering myself a few dubious quality tappets. ;)

Are Britpart tappets any good?

Todd.

Thanks for the spanner Tonk!

I only have the one oil leak and it's at the valve cover gasket. There was lots of crank case pressure when I removed the oil filler cap.....hmm.... DAMN SPANNERS!

But wouldn't you be able to feel something on the block, if it was a piston ring cause the problem (ticking) ?

Damn, I use the landy as my everyday drive, I don't want to drive it til it's broken, but I can't do without it. Maybe I'll need to place an order for some extra parts, to be on the safe side, when I remove the head.

Todd.

Lots of differing opinions, so I filmed the engine today.

Listen to the short movie (9.8Mb) Tic Movie

The engine has a distinct tic to it and it sounds like a helichopper! :o The stupid mike on the camera.......<_<

I'm about to order some parts, but what to get? ....... Tappet slides, rollers, maybe pushrods ? A few valves ? I already have a head gasket.

Is there anything else I may need, that I'm not thinking of ? :unsure:

Todd.