Rear lights are wired up backwards

Trying to get LED stop/tail lights to work on the '95 110. No go at all until I discovered that the lights are wired up 'backwards' ie. outer of bulb is + and centre is -. With ordinary bulbs this doesn't matter but the LED's (being diodes, after all) only work one way round. I checked other Defenders at work and this seems to be 'normal' but wrong, after all.

So if you try LED's and they don't work, now you know :wacko:

The stop/tail is done by the two centre contacts, and yes those are the right way round except that they are both negative and should be positive. All this is not really a problem except that it is a bit of a pain to rewire the sockets. In fact, to tell the truth I didn't do this. Got my money back on the LED's and use ordinary old bulbs as before.

The stop/tail is done by the two centre contacts, and yes those are the right way round except that they are both negative and should be positive. All this is not really a problem except that it is a bit of a pain to rewire the sockets. In fact, to tell the truth I didn't do this. Got my money back on the LED's and use ordinary old bulbs as before.

So, the shroud is live and when the lights are turned on the rear lights get an earth and when you brake it earths the brake light contact? Must be a SA special edition! How do you wire trailer lamps???

concenous {SP}

Sensitive. :)

Chris

No, voltmeter is correct and this seems to be a problem with all the Defenders I have tested. Possibly all Tdi's. Trailer lights work fine. The front side lights and all indicators are wired correctly. It is just the stop/tail lights that are back to front.

By the way, we have had a few cases where people have forced single-filament bulbs into the stop/tail light holders. This gives strange effects when the brakes are applied. With one old V8 Defender the front side lights would come on and we had a Defender TD5 where the engine would not stop if the brakes were on. This owner insisted his bulbs had not been changed etc. Maybe the fairies put the single-filament bulb in there :wacko: