Tyre question for a mate

bishbosh

A friend of mine has a TD5 Disco 2 auto.

He does 99% of his mileage on road with a reasonable amount of towing. However, the 1% off road can be slippery slipways or wet grassy fields.

He absolutely, categorically does not want anything as aggressive as an AT. What he would like to know is what is the best road biased tyre that will give him a modicum of traction for the odd foray off tarmac.

I know it is a bit like wanting your cake and eating it, but amongst road tyres there must be some that offer a bit extra off road?

Opinions please?

I wouldn't have anything other than an AT tyre on my Disco. They're not aggressive at all just dashed good all rounders - especially the Goodrich AT and they run true and stick to high speed corner really well.

Most of my miles are on metaled surfaces, motorway miles with high cruising speeds and on shale tracks - as we live out in the sticks. I also have an Ifor Williams double axle trailer for fully loaded work too.

I concur that your friend will need some bite on wet field grass/slime. IMO no car like tyre will do anything other than slick up under those conditions neither will they give up to 80,000 miles on the road!

Whilst they're expensive to put on the harder wear factor makes them good value.

I have to say that I've only got up to 52,000 miles out of Goodrich All Terrain so far but I'm happy with that and that's not bad for a hefty truck.

What I would call aggressive are the Mud Terrain (MT) tyres and I would again agree they're not for him.

That's be my choice.... :)

Oh!......and she goes anywhere in the snow on them too! :i-m_so_happy:

HTH

As above - I have BFG AT's on my Discovery and I can't see why anybody wouldn't run them on a 4x4. I actually prefer them on paved surfaces to a straight road tyre and in the course of my old job I've driven quite a lot of Discoverys! My D2 on slightly oversize ATs (255/70R16) handles and brakes at least as well as any I've driven on standard road tyres, and you get the extra benefit of something that had much better puncture resistance than silly cardboard road tyres, has the grip when you need it, and looks better too.

Among "M&S" road tyres the old Michelin XPC 4x4 was a pretty good all-rounder but is no longer made - and I don't know what the replacement Michelins are like. Something like the Grabber TR might also be worthy of a look.

The new Grabber AT is also probably worth a look as I believe it's very civilised on the road, though I've not tried it yet.