a stupid mistake today with my auto box

straightshooter

right here goes i feel like a complete fool in fact i am!!!!!!! had a leak with my cooler tubes that run from my auto box so i thought well this is only a two minute job so i cut some fresh hose and dug out some cheap jubilee clips i bought hooked it all up and went for a drive well as you can imagine ten minutes down the road a cloud of smoke like a james bond car was behind me so i parked the bob up got picked up bought some good clips and oil got back to the car tied everyting up nicely and topped up the gearbox drove down the road and realised instead of aft fluid i had put gear box oil in GRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!! so tomorrow looks like i'll be draining the lot off and refill the question i have to ask do i or is there a way to flush it out or just change it over a fewtimes over the next few weeks till its all flushed out

• 5 months later...

right here goes i feel like a complete fool in fact i am!!!!!!! had a leak with my cooler tubes that run from my auto box so i thought well this is only a two minute job so i cut some fresh hose and dug out some cheap jubilee clips i bought hooked it all up and went for a drive well as you can imagine ten minutes down the road a cloud of smoke like a james bond car was behind me so i parked the bob up got picked up bought some good clips and oil got back to the car tied everyting up nicely and topped up the gearbox drove down the road and realised instead of aft fluid i had put gear box oil in GRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!! so tomorrow looks like i'll be draining the lot off and refill the question i have to ask do i or is there a way to flush it out or just change it over a fewtimes over the next few weeks till its all flushed out

If it's an old box, and the fluid is still red, leave it alone. Putting fresh fluid in can dislodge dirt particles and block up various bits of the insides -quite often the symptom is first gear only for the first few miles :(

If it's going black, then do of course change, then sell the vehicle :P