KAM locker still giving me problems

Orangev8

I don't really know? That AWDC north sounded good, but north is not getting closer to Gloucester if you start from Stafford :(

4x4 show in Stafford in March is the first booked outing, as I said it would be fun to be on the Goodwinch stand again. (Tea and buns supplied)

Then a local trial to drive a bit, check for leaks, drive a bit and so on before hitting a winch challenge with the new engine and some more front locker action :)

Team Idris is having a few logistical problems, so a pumped up hard core truck hasn't quite arrived at the right time, but got to make somthing happen some how :D

HI "Team Idris"

Are you bringing your "truck" to The indoor 4x4 show at Stafford again this year ?

We spoke briefly last year. My mate and I where over for the show and other LR-related stuff.

The short chat with you and looking at your car was one of the best things at the show for me !

I would like to have another and we are actually planning another trip again this year.

Hope to see you there.

Cheers

Morten

Sorry about the Hi Jack ;-)

Sorry Nige

given a 3 hour drive back I could really not be arsed to pop in and besides....I forgot the whisk.

Steve

A huge thank you for today and as said, it was worth the trip for the correction on the mis advice for the spline thing.....otherwise the quill would just have bloody well popped out again on Sunday.

Nick

• 5 weeks later...

i had a bit of trouble with my kam locker last night,whilst winching up an embankment with both lockers and centre diff engaged my mate pointed out to me that the rear was working as an open diff and wasnt locked,the light has been a bit sporadic lately too,i will be stripping it down later today or tomorrow and following the pointers in this thread,was just wondering if someone could explain about/how to do the mod to the solenoid piston regarding drilling,also ive allways filled the diff untill it just reaches the fill plug so im presuming im putting far to much oil in if 2L is whats recomended,thanks in advance

The KAM excuse was that too much oil stopped the pluger working, but as it is under oil on climbs, thats a bum excuse. But you want the right amount of oile for the diff's sake :)

I basically drilled two relief holes between the finish of the threaded hole and the solenoid body. Then a 6mm hole to join them to the trapped oil.

The pluger does'nt go all the way in, so push it in as far as it goes and mark where it enters the solenoid with a marker pen. Then drill a 4mm cross hole just after the line. Then drill another at a right angle, say 6mm further along. Then drill a 6mm hole from the flat end of the pluger up the middle untill it crosses both 4mm drillings.

I also got a 3/4" BSP female ally pipe boss welded to the case right by the fork. It's easier to fill, lower, and you can see the fork moving to check its working right :)

thanks for the help fella's,ive definatly been putting to much oil in for a start,i presumed you fill to the fill plug which due to the extra volume with the modified pan takes about 3L so this may be where my problem is,i will do the mods to the piston also and see how it goes,thanks again fella's

I went with the drilling as I reconed it might affect the magnetic field less? But it was a total guess :)

It crossed my mind that it might be better to weld the fork to the plunger, throw the screw and drill right through with no cross drilling. Therefore removing all the metal from the centre where it doesn't really do anything, but I chickened out.

Putting cuts in the plunger looked nasty (I have one), but it could be the best option as well as quickest.

i still prefer the kam locker though,my front arb has also started acting up as the compressor is kicking in about every 5 seconds,ive checked all the pipework/fittings from the compressor to the diff and alls fine so im presumeing it will be the seals =front diff out,at least the kam its just the cover off lol,oh the joys of offroading and fancy traction aids :lol: