P38 diff flange rotation

jad

Hi

I have a project on the go and the output from the Tbox for the rear axle is on the left hand side of the vehicle. Can anyone confirm that if the diff flange on a P38 axle is rotated the same way as a normal defender/discovery axle then they will move in the same direction? i.e. forward or backwards.....

I tried googling but couldnt get an answer

Thanks

Jad

ah just looked on ashcrofts website and it says they dont do strengthened shafts for the P38 axle. I could be completely wrong but i think I have read somewhere that is is possible to flip a normal axle over and rotate the diff so that it still works in the correct direction? Obviously the drain/filler plugs would be in the wrong location. Would that then allow me to fit strengthed parts to the axle? or is it possible to fit different stub shafts and therefore the strengthened shafts they do sell?

cheers

Jad

You'd also end up cutting the back part of the diff out as the crownwheel will now be on the other side, along with the ends of the axles as the hubs would end up being upside down.

It'd be easier to cut the housing out and move it across :)

People normally flip the axles when running rear engined.

G

Cant say I like the sound of moving the diff across, I would probably end up with a wonky axle! Changing the diff casing wouldnt be a problem. Whats the problem with running the hubs upside? Location of the brake callipers and brake pipes? I would like to run standard land rover axles with uprated parts if at all possible. Are there any other options? They are being converted to leaf springs so having air suspension parts etc to remove is not a problem.

Cheers

Jad