abs 4-14 code v8i ES discovery

gents

im having problems with the abs on a 1995 v8i discovery....... the code will not clear from memory...still live?..4-14 seams a funny code not on lists ive seen by googlin... some say its down to abs relay others say front left hand sensor.....i need to be sure...ive cheeked the plugs on and around abs block all look good no corrosion ect....

any one else had this one

thanks luke

These ones are correct, according to Haynes and Rave:

http://flrc.erovers.com/2007/10/14/troubleshooting-abs-light-on-rr-classic-and-disco-1s.aspx

4-14 is front left, first thing to do is check wiring, clean around the sensor and pull it out with a large flat blade screwdriver-tap home.

Then get it up over 8mph and hopefully the light will go out, if not suspect a dead sensor, or even CV joint, as this is where the ABS reluctor ring is situated. Nip to a scrappy for a spare couple -the front ones are the same, I expect them to be very cheap (£10 or so).

U can also unplug the sensor and measure it's resistance with ohmeter... it must be between 900 - 1100 ohm, then put AC voltmeter on it and rotate the wheel, u must have a certain voltage output there( use a small scale...they say it's 0.95V at 1 rot/sec of the wheel) . If these figures are out of the range, there is open or short circuit on the sensor then get a new one without any remorse. IMO when it's a wheel bearing/reluctor ring issue the fault is intermittent.

thanks for the input

well i changed out the left front sensor(no ac when wheel turned) drove the car.

abs light went out until i turned left straight back on...abs code 5-14.....so i gave i a tap home drove again.....in a straight line its ok as soon as i turn im getting the 5-14 code

need to look at the cv i think... it must be kicking the sensor up

thanks luke

thanks for the input

well i changed out the left front sensor(no ac when wheel turned) drove the car.

abs light went out until i turned left straight back on...abs code 5-14.....so i gave i a tap home drove again.....in a straight line its ok as soon as i turn im getting the 5-14 code

need to look at the cv i think... it must be kicking the sensor up

thanks luke

just to ad the wheel bearing seems good to me no play or noise. also no noise from CV on full lock.......

• 2 weeks later...