faulty odometer and new speedo

Hi all

When I brought my 200tdi it had a faulty odometer (only the ones digit worked so it only read from 100,000 - 100,009 before cycling round again). At the time I put the repair on my to-do list and never got round to it. I checked the MOT records online and found it been broken since at least 2003.

I've now installed a new td5 speedo unit and need to change the mileage reading, but I’m just debating what I should get it changed to, the way I see it, I have four options:

a) The last reading on my current speedo, 100,007

b) The last reading on my current speedo, plus the mileage I know I’ve done on it (16,092) for a total of 116,099

c) For the unknown years before I brought it between 2003 and 2009 add an average mileage (12,000) for each year along with my mileage for a total of 186,099

d) Just don’t worry about it!

I'm not sure how this sits legally, if at all.

It might also be worth noting its had a new engine in with an unknown mileage on it.

Anybody have any thoughts?

Cheers

TSR

I was looking at this when I fitted my Td5 speedo. As far as I could work out there was only a problem in lower miles if you were trying to sell it as having done less miles than it actually has.

Mine is roughly 100k out, I have no plans of selling anytime so I'm not bothered! Last two MOTs have been with the same mileage :P

Putting a higher or to zero [as on a brand new speedo replacement] or the existing total mileage reading isn't illegal, what is illegal is dropping the total to make the vehicle seem newer -- less miles as a preluded to selling on the vehicle.

PM in your mailbox