keys

dave t

It would appear that the key that turns the ignition will not fit my doors (disco 300tdi) so I am assuming at some time the ignition barrel has been changed. Is there anyway to get a new key to fit my doors using vin number or suchlike?

at the mo the two button fob is doing its job...... but just in case!!!!

thanks

Dave

Find an auto locksmith near to you that will alter the profiles within the igniton switch to match your door key. If the fob unlocks the doors then why bother, i've never used a key in a door in the 14 years i've had my disco as the fob does the job. :D

If the fob unlocks the doors then why bother, i've never used a key in a door in the 14 years i've had my disco as the fob does the job. :D

Because, if/when the fob decides not to play anymore it will be at two o'clock on a winters morning when you have a plane/train/wife to catch.

Never hurts to have a back up plan hanging on the key rack.

The simplest way to achieve this in the op's case is to go to a breakers, pick up a door handle assembly with a key and fit that in place of what's on there now. Had to do mine after losing my keys recently. Cost me a tenner and half an hour.

Just my two penneth worth.

Security of a vehicle is an important part but, "if/when the fob decides not to play anymore it will be at two o'clock on a winters morning when you have a plane/train/wife to catch" the backup plan would be a spare fob, just a key wouldn't help you would be going nowhere as the engine would remain immobilised without the presence of a functioning fob as i'm sure you know.

Also doesn't the op just want the three door locks and ignition switch with the same key profile, not a door handle assembly + key, he dosen't say he's without door keys..

I have an ignition key and a fuel filler cap key which work but not in the doors. I was looking for a way to get a key that matches the doors, I don't mind if its different from the ignition key as long as it works but I would prefer to have a key that fits door and ignition so is there a number somewhere that will allow me to purchase new keys or can a locksmith cut keys to suit?

I don't really want to start changing locks/barrells

Thanks

Dave

I forgot about the filler flap, but if you have a key that fits that lock then that should fit one of the door locks... if not all.

I can understand the ignition switch key being different because it has been changed due to a problem with the old switch, that happens, but to replace the three door locks? are u sure it's not just lubrication required in the door locks?

Again have a word with a locksmith they may need or may or not need the barrel to provide you with a key, or a Land Rover main dealer can supply you with the vehicles key key number and also a key that will fit the locks that were fitted to your vehicle when it left the factory based on the VIN..

You can turn off the immobiliser using the key to enter the code, although that assumes you have the little card with the code on it to hand and can remember the sequence.

All very important stuff, and along with the my owners handbook with instructions on how to enter the code as I've never had to do it. :)

I forgot about the filler flap, but if you have a key that fits that lock then that should fit one of the door locks... if not all.

I can understand the ignition switch key being different because it has been changed due to a problem with the old switch, that happens, but to replace the three door locks? are u sure it's not just lubrication required in the door locks?

Again have a word with a locksmith they may need or may or not need the barrel to provide you with a key, or a Land Rover main dealer can supply you with the vehicles key key number and also a key that will fit the locks that were fitted to your vehicle when it left the factory based on the VIN..

Ok tried soaking the locks in wd40 for a few hours and now the ignition key will open and lock the drivers door so you were right they were just seized up (doh!!)

now I have two different types of key one is a heavy plastic headed one and it opens and closes the door no bother and starts the car, but the other key has a lightweight plastic head and when I use this the indicators flash continuously even after switching off and taking the key out any ideas why?

sorry for all these question but I dont have a handbook where I suspect all the locking information is

I don't have a clue, it's a strange one unless u have odd keys but then why it sets the indicators flash continuously??, don't worry about the plastic part of the key as that will depend on if the key is genuine of a patten copy.

Do your two keys have the same blade profile and does the key that you can now use in the door/ignition fit the filler flap?? if so that's the original, which do have hard black plastic handle with a 20mm wide round indent on either side, or it's a very good copy of the original.

Yes I now have three keys all with the same blade profile and all work ignition, doors and filler cap. Two are the indent plastic type and one is the small plastic top, only that key makes the indicators flash all the time!!!

I have two fobs (two button) and one works perfectly the other doesnt work at all. When I lock with the fob the alarm sets itself as It should. not really sure what happens when I lock with a key, other than the doors seem to lock

. Do the keys have any electrics inside? and does the fob need to be next to the ignition?

No electronics involved with the standard keys so just don't use the third key (post a pic of it). Locking also sets the alarm but the ultra-sonic movement detector within the cab is isolated.

Lock with the key if and when you wish but always unlock with fob because the alarm is voltage sensoring, the operation of the central locking will activate the alarm the for unsets the alarm before the unlocking.

With the broken fob, look inside sometimes the battery or button connections require resoldering back on the PCB and alway use a good quality battery.

Thanks for your help its been very informative. I will post a pic of the key as soon as I get my camera back.

Last question. If I lock with the fob and then somehow that stops working can I unlock and start the car with the key?

Thanks for your help its been very informative. I will post a pic of the key as soon as I get my camera back.

Last question. If I lock with the fob and then somehow that stops working can I unlock and start the car with the key?

Not directly, unlocking with the key activates the alarm, and the engine will be still be immobilised unless you enter the emergency code via the drivers door lock. So as you you see it's a very good idea to have two fully functional fobs.