Alarm or should I say immobilizer

Hi all how are we now that we are nearly at the end of the first month!

Right down to it, my farther has got a R reg 300Tdi defender 90 with a factory fitted rover alarm and immobilizer. Dad never sets the alarm but is locked, all he does is unlock it put the key in the ignition turn and go, this has been the case for years.

Now for the problem, recently after putting the key in the ignition and turning it a light that looks like a car with a key in it flashes (I assume this is the immobilizer light) and it wont start. The only thing to do then is push the dis-arm button on the key fob then it will go, stop it, get out and you have to do it all again.

This auto arming is a real pain when it never used to do so any help would be great

This cannot be helped,the Immobiliser will re-arm itself after x amount of minutes as a safe guard so that it may not get stolen, if your father was to actually use the key fob to disarm the immobiliser when he starts it then he wouldn't have that problem-hence why he can't start it without doing so

John

the transponder coil ring? working?

with the factory alarm, it sets the immobiliser in about 10sec once you stop the engine and open the door or in 5 minutes once you stop the engine and don't open the door.

If you have access to the programming of the 10AS you can disable this option called 'passive immobilise'

When passive immobilised, the alarm doesn't sound when you open the doors or when you try to start the car without the fob. it will just flash the immobilise light on the dash which you are seeing.

hence, it's the transponder ring that i'm asking about. if you try to start the truck when the 10as has enabled passive immobilise, it will send out an frequency (using the transponder ring) to 'excite' the fob to transmit the rolling code. if the code is received, it disables the immobiliser and allows the engine to be started.

if you do not have the ring (or ring not working), it cannot send the RF to excite the fob, so it doesn't get the rolling code so the engine (10AS unit) must be manually de-immobilised before it can be started.

Has your dad had it plugged into a computer recently??

When I got my TD5 it didn't have any fobs with it, unlocked door with key, put key in ignition and off I went. I got a couple of fobs for it as I wanted to use the alarm, immobiliser, central locking etc. and now as you say I have to turn the immobiliser off every time I want to start it regardless of weather I set the alarm of not.

My point is that it must be possible to turn the alarm and immobiliser off if you want, like mine was when I got it. So am wondering if your dad has had it plugged into a computer and the operator had inadvertently activated the immobiliser??

This is of coarse assuming that the 300tdi used the same 10as module as the TD5.

Hope this makes sense but it is first thing Monday morning!!

Simon