oil out of exhaust, what the hell is going on!!!!!

davyd8899

righto soi put a new head on my mates 300tdi disco

while running with the old head on, it was pressuring the coolant system due to the head being cracked

now i have put a new head, oil is squirting out of a little pin prick hole of the flexi hose on the exhaust, its obviously under pressure, the best way to describe is imagine a pin prick hole in a hosepipe and water squirting out of that, exactly the same thing is happening with the oil coming out of the flexi pipe!!

it wasnt doing this prior to the new head going on, ie- it wasnt doing this with the old head.

also it is bellowing white smoke to the point its turning the drive really foggy and you cant see one end of the drive to the other!!!

another thing is when revved its making a horrible tinny noise as described in the last post.

new injector seals and glow plugs so there shouldnt be any compression issues.

my first thoughts is turbo but as i say it was fine before the new head, is there anything on the turbo i could of disturbed??

any thoughts ideas would be appritiated, its getting to the point where am just gonna tell him to sell to recover some costs hes spent on it but i hate being beaten.

just had a though, on the bottom of the inlet manifold there is a small strip of metal right in the way of getting a socket and bar onto the bolt to remove the manifold from the head. its about 3" long and held on by 2 8mm bolts. as the bolts were so rusted and rounded off i just broke the metal, meaning to replace after i bolted the head back on, how ever i forgot so there is now no metal there between the 2 bolts.

so my question is, along with the obvious first 1, what does this little strip of metal do, it looked a copper material, and without it would it create the problems i have??

The little bit of metal sounds lie a heat sheild not going to cause the oil squirt.N0 17 in pic

For there to be that much oil in the exhaust the Turbo must be pushing it straight in

Do you mean the exhaust flexi hose or the oil drain hose on the bottom of the turbo N0 12 in turb pic

2988.gif

2938.gif

right before i get a recon turbo i just want to clarfy a few points.

took the air pipe offand checked the vains, they turn smoothly, wit engine running i used a zip tie to see if it was spinning and it was.

took for a blast up the road, loads of white/blue smoke and i do mean LOADS!!

can kinda hear turbo whistling but noticable drop in power

not only is it chucking oil out of the exhaust its also coming out of the intake manifold or intercooler, not sure which but when i slakened the top jubilee clip on the intercooler and ran in for a minute oil started dribbling out

as i say its just had a brand new head and full gasket kit. it wasnt doing anything like this with the old head on. also head bolts got replaced.

SO is it a recon turbo or could it be engine related (piston rings etc)??

Did it overheat badly before head change or why did you do a head change?

Have you done a compression test?

Did you check the bores for scoring and cracks?

Did you use the correct head gasket thickness and check piston protusion?

Did you torque head in the correct sequence and torque?

When you say new head brand new or new reconditioned?

Try running without Intercooler pipe connected to inlet manifold and see what smoke Oli you get then?

brand new head as in not reconned, brand spanking new, changed because it was cracked

head bolts torqued down correctly and in correct sequance

didnt overheat before this, collant system got pressurised and the radiator let go took the old head for a pressure test and found to be badly cracked in one of the manifold ports

put the same thickness head gasket on it as what came off it

no pick up on the bores, no scoring or cracks

ran it with intercooler pipe off, same amount of oil and smoke

so new/recon turbo, as i suspect or engine related??

I rebuilt my own turbo with a kit purchased on Ebay, it wasnt that hard but the trick is, if you go this way, MARK all the componants, shaft, nuts, turbines etc with a fine etching tool BEFORE you dissassemble or you will need to have the entire unit re-ballanced.

My unit spins beautifully.

yep the turbo oil drain

have completed 100 miles since discovering the problem and no noticable smoke, no loss of oil so hopefully got away with it!!

will keep an eye on it for the next few 100 miles i do realise i could of buggered the turbo seals