Dad!I think I,ve done it wrong

pitbull63

As some may remember I have been sorting the mouse nest that was the wiring loom on my 88" SWB.

Well all connections are now soldered up,proper instrument pod fitted,and a dash.

It starts,runs great and all the lights work now including the brake lights after I fitted a new switch.

I was chuffed as until I went out in it last night to fuel up and when I pulled up in the garage it wouldn,t turn off with the key!

A quick think and I sussed out all is ok when the lights are off but the headlights seem to complete the ignition circuit!I,ve also since discovered that the front side lights come one when I brake too!

So its back to the drawing board :blush:

I take it you don't have a standard engine fitted then? As the key doesn't normally turn off the engine. So that might be part of your problem if you have replaced the ignition switch? As standard you have to pull the engine stop cable.

It should switch off with the key if its a petrol !!

You have a crossfeed from side light circuit into brake lights which is feeding into ign switched circuits (which include the brake lights . You should start by unplugging the tail lights as that is probably where the problem is, dont discount a faulty stop tail bulb either . HTSH .

Just remembered its electronic ignition so I,m going to have a look to see how thats wired tomorrow.

Had a quick look at the rear light wiring tonight and its been rewired like the dash so I,ll start from scratch tomorrow with things there and see how it goes.

Thanks for your help mate

I take it you don't have a standard engine fitted then? As the key doesn't normally turn off the engine. So that might be part of your problem if you have replaced the ignition switch? As standard you have to pull the engine stop cable.

Standard 2 1/4 petrol,electronic ignition and Weber carb but its never had a pull stop.Something else I,ll have to look into.Cheers

Would a toggle switch do as a temporary measure for a stop mechanism?