A new engine for the Range Rover - questions and guidance

task

I posted up a thread in the Range Rover forum a while back asking for ideas around building something to make the CSK "quicker" and If all goes to plan this weekend I should be collecting a 4.6 Rover bottom end.

I'm posting here for a bit of guidance on what to do with it, my plans are as follows;

New bearings in the block.

New Camshaft (I don't know what so suggestions please!)

Worked over heads - Stage 2 or 3 (Again, suggestions of suppliers)

Megasquirt for both spark and fuel, the current setup has a AG SGi LPG system fitted, is it possible to use MS to run both the LPG and Petrol fueling?

I am planning on fitting the multi-v belt front to the 4.6 block, this is more in keeping with the look of the CSK under the bonnet.

It's also worth noting that the Range Rover is a manual.

Anything I've missed or any suggestions are more than welcome!

Bear in mind if you change to the old front cover and multi-V I believe you will also lose the better oil pump, one of the main reasons people 'upgrade' to a later 4.0/4.6 block.

For camshaft, if you go with the earlier front cover, then the world is your oyster, stump puller was always a favourite, but there are a load more out there, especially as yours is likely to be more a street machine than mud plugger, I guess ;) You can also get duplex chains to fit the earlier cam setup. If you retain the later cover, your cam choices are more limited, I think to only Kent, I went with an H200, which is about as far as I could reasonably go with an auto stuck behind it, with a manual, again you can go more crazy :)

Try a search on here: http://www.kentcams.com/product-search-results.asp

Go for new genuine lifters ONLY ;)

The easy way to get the LPG to work is to run the LPG system on top of the MS system, allow a reasonable authority for the lambda probe and it's just like having the LPG system installed on the stock ECU. You can I am sure use MS to run the LPG injectors, BUT, LPG ecus have the temperature and pressure sensors for the LPG system which ensure that it delivers the right amount of fuel, safely (i.e. no switches off if underpressure and won't switch on if under temperature). For this reason I would run them in tandem, may be not what you want to hear, but I am sure the AG system has a lot of development work gone in to it for a reason :)

Cheers Bowie, I appreciate the older oil pump isn't as good as the later but it can't be that bad surely?

It is indeed going to be more of a street machine than a mud plugger, although I like to think of it more a grand tourer :)

The AG system on the whole is very good, it gives a slight flat-spot on initial acceleration but it came from a 4.6 engine and it's currently on my late serpentine 3.9.

The wiring of the AG system does present some complication, it's quite heavily integrated to the hotwire loom and the current setup doesn't run a lambda sensor. I can see this is going to present some issues for me on the wiring side!

I have a spare hotwire loom with lambda connectors fitted, so perhaps I should be looking to wire up with that loom, or even just create a whole new one for the MS/AG Sgi marriage?

Interesting :)

The AG should only really be interrupting the injector feeds, it will have it's own sensors for things like water temperature (on the vapouriser), if you look more closely you may find it is just a couple of connections....

'Not that bad', the earlier oil pump, well it can be depending on condition :) They wear more and just don't pump as well, factor in replacement parts and a day flatting surfaces if you go that route :)

When you run MS, you will run a lambda, tune it ro run correctly on petrol, share the lambda signal with the AG SGi ECU and it should work all the fuelings out for itself, that is in theory how they are designed to operate, some don't even use the engine lambda, but rely on the engine ECU for injector timings, 'plus a bit here and there' worked out by the LPG ECU during the tuning phase. LPG systems are pretty simple beasts in all honesty :)

In fact, looking at the installation instructions, the AG SGi shouldn;t be cutting into your Hotwire loom at all?

http://digidownload.libero.it/storyteller/varie/sgi_type1_01.pdf

Looks like it has plugs to jumper out the injectors -although someone with a neatness fetish may have soldered them all rather than rely on plug and socket -it does look tidier :)

Deff soldered but good to know I can probably just unsolder and re-attach in the required location. I would guess it was done for neatness, I don't think many SGI systems were installed to the classic, seems more of a solution for the P38 upwards.

Nice that I can share this with the SGI system too, might make it a bit better on LPG too :D