Running a cat and lambda engine without cats or lambda sensors

Grant.

Hi all,

Just in the process of fitting a v8 in my 90. fitted tubular exhaust manifolds to it, however trying to find any information I can regarding if I need to fit the lamda sensors in the system still or if i can leave them out?

Any solutions if i have to do anything?

Tried goooogling, but theres a million answers, and nothing set in stone!

Many thanks in advance

Grant

Hi,

Copy/paste from britishv8.org (link)

Tune Resistor

A Tune Resistor was originally specified in the wire harness so that one ECU part number could serve multiple vehicle markets. (Multiple computer programs could be stored within the ECU, and the ECU could "decide" which one to use based on what resistance it sensed.) One leg of the Tune Resister was wired to terminal 5 of the ECU, and the other leg was spliced to ground.

At some point during 14CUX production, Rover apparently decided to eliminate the Tune Resistor. (According to Rover service literature, this started with VIN number LA451517.) It isn't clear from the literature whether any US-market 14CUX systems would be effected by having an incorrect or damaged tune resister. The following information on Tune Resistors is based on Rover service literature.

Visual inspection of wire color codes will allow you to quickly differentiate between resistors.

White 3900 Ohms USA and European vehicles with catalytic converters

Green 470 Ohms UK and European vehicles without catalytic onverters

Yellow 910 Ohms Saudi vehicles (without catalytic converters.)

Red 180 Ohms Australia and "the rest of the world."

Note: all four types of Rover Tune Resistors were rated for 0.5 Watts.

Dunno about TVR's but Morgans had them later on and Disco 3.9's had them up to the end when the DII 4.0 took over.My experience of the TVR's was that they usually broke down before getting warm enough to go closed loop. :hysterical: