Competition Tyres

stuck

Gent's,

My CCV truck has always been shod with 265 / 75 R16 Bronco Grizzly Claw tyres which worked very well.

I can no longer find these and am in urgent need of a new set of boots.

Can anybody give me a opinion on the following two tyres for off road only use please?

1) Malatesta Kaiman

2) Insa Turbo Special Track (Obviously heard about these but I'm looking for a comparison).

I have a limited choice in tyres I can use (MSA Yearbook for CCV Vehicles) so opinions in the above would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Mick.

Gent's,

My CCV truck has always been shod with 265 / 75 R16 Bronco Grizzly Claw tyres which worked very well.

I can no longer find these and am in urgent need of a new set of boots.

Can anybody give me a opinion on the following two tyres for off road only use please?

1) Malatesta Kaiman

2) Insa Turbo Special Track (Obviously heard about these but I'm looking for a comparison).

I have a limited choice in tyres I can use (MSA Yearbook for CCV Vehicles) so opinions in the above would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Mick.

Is this for ALRC events? As they still allow a pretty broad variety of tyres.

As for the tyres, well I guess it comes down to several points and your preference upon them:

-looks, does this have any bearing at all?

-terrain, different tyres can work better on different surfaces

-driving style, some tyres are known as diff breakers for a reason. Also if you want the ability to spin the wheels up or use the hand brake then you might find less than ultimate grip slightly more usable

If it is ALRC rules then they allow a max inflated diameter of 33", although they don't specify on how this is measured. Personally I'd argue that they'd have to use the manufacturers ratings and not a tape measure.

For trialling narrow tyres are often preferred as they allow more steering lock and a narrower vehicle. But then terrain type might dictate a wider tyre as a better bet.

Also what sort of pressures will you be running?

Popular sizes I've seen:

235/85R16 - quite narrow and fairly tall

256/75R16 - more chunky than above (look better??) and similar height

31.10.50R15 - similar overall size to the 265's

7.50's - should be narrow and fairly tall, although many recent 7.50's seem to be similar sized to the 235's

205's - limited axle clearance but can work very well on soft grass and allows maximum steering lock

That said, I recently stumbled across these:

http://www.tyresdirectuk.co.uk/shop/product-info.php?prodname=33x10.50R16-Silverstone-Xtreme-Tyres-&id=17279

They are a Simex Extreme trekker copy but offer in 33.10.50R16 and 33.9.50R16. They sound like the ideal ALRC trialling tyre assuming you have enough body clearance to run them.

Pretty similar from what I have seen, kaimens have some funky sidewall tread iirc. I have so me 235 85 dirt devils on my 90 and mate has some 265 75 kaimens on his 90 and they were pretty evenly matched at whit worth when setting up for a trial. (both on turned disco steels)

Will.

When I looked at the various different brands of tyre all with the same(similar) tread pattern as the Insa Turbo Special Track at a show, I took a tape measure. I measured the height of all the 265/75/16 Tyres and found a huge difference in the height of them, the Special track was over 1" taller than all the others. I think this may vary though depending on the original carcass used, best to have a look before you buy.

Diamonds are Very popular as they measure in at 33 inch and very narrow. Bronco are indeed great tyres I had a set once. I will be going for diamonds next for sure

I don't think Bronco4x4 exist anymore do they? I've used a set of Bronco Dirt Devils which are a copy of an Interco TSL, they worked very well. Seen lots using Grizzly Claws, but less so of recent times, suspect they are harder to find.

Curious, but where are you getting 33" tall diamonds? Most I've seen are only 205's.