Discovery 2 v8 ms help needed

Good evening,

I am looking for abit help with ms'ing a d2.

With it been a Thor engine I can't seem to find much info so I have been in touch with nige and am over the moon with the help he has given me.

Only problem I seem to be hitting is if I remove all the standard electronics and replace them with the ms set up what can I do to allow the other things in the d2 to run as normal ( auto box , ace etc )

I have had a bit look around the net and emailed a few people about this and one option was to piggy back the standard ecu using the CPS, TPS temp sensor etc. is there a better way to get around this? ( if possible I would like to lose all he Bosch set up)

What feeds does the likes of the auto box need from the ecu to work how it should?

Engine spec if it helps is a freshly build lump with:-

4.0 Thor block

4.6 crank & rods

4.0 pistons

Piper torque max cam

Also running bigas LPG system

The reason I want to ms it is to be able to sort the fuelling etc out as the std ecu seems to be having a fit with fuelling ( 30l petrol to do 35 miles ) I know the maf it causing a lot of problems so am using it a excuse to bin the std set up and move over to ms.

Any help would be great and thanks again nige for your help so far

Simon.

• 4 weeks later...

I have still not implemented my own MS1 installation fully yet (is only running ignition) so probaby not the best to comment, but from what I have read it would seem that piggybacking is the easiest way forward. That way the original ECU thinks it is still in charge, but in fact is doing nothing to control your fuelling or spark.

One thing that may happen (i think) though is that the factory ECU trims fuelling from a standard base map to suit over time. These trim settings may end up out of whack if the system is trying to trim fuelling and it is seeing these changes are having no effect, it'll try bigger changes and so on. This shouldnt be a problem though unless you try to run on the original ECU again, except perhaps it may eventually cause the systen to throw a warning light (thats just a guess though)?

If you're any good at programming & up for a challenge you could look at MS2 or MS3 which I believe have CANBus capability and could therefore possibly communicate with the standard electronics and pretend to be a standard ECU. I imagine it would be a hell of a lot of work though.

Another alternative is you use one of the diagnostics systems to tell the other systems not to expect comms from the main ECU, I don't know how "joined up" the systems are on a D2, sometimes LR make everything pretty much standalone, other times they get smart and connect it all together (usually in later models).