rrc central locking question

denviks

hi all. this being my first classic ( after disco's and defenders ) im unsure if all classics should have a fob for using central locking. my classice is a 5 door H reg. it does have central locking on the key but didnt come with a fob....

is there a way of checking?

My '91 is a standard edition RRC (cloth seats, manual box, etc... ) the fob I have is aftermarket stuff. Originally there was no fob, only central locking through the locks in the front doors. I think only the SE and LSE models had alarm from the factory and thus came with the fob.

Speak to RemoteKey - they have a lot of knowledge and offer more option than just about anyone else. I was able to replace the single-button system on my 95 RRC with their modified genuine DII unit (brand new, not s/h or recon) that has lots of additional features that they can enable or disable for you but that LR don't offer the initial customer of vehicles fitted with the same system. They supply their systems ready for DIY installation and are really helpful and very cheap.

I think as has been said, that vintage RRC probably didn't come with an alarm - just central locking, and if it locked from passenger door too, then that's a bonus as I remember my H reg Disco only locked and unlocked from the driver's door, which meant when I had a Clifford alarm added, they had to add a lock actuator to ensure the driver door locked/unlocked too.

The soft dash generation of Disco (and presume RRC too?) alarm unit also controls the central locking and uses a single wire lock/unlock signal - from memory it was something like earth the wire and it locks - break the earth to it and it unlocks. This is built into the driver's door lock actuator which is why it has 5 wires to it and not just 2 - the 3 extra are the common, lock, unlock

I added a Toad alarm to control the original alarm on my 95 Disco about 10 years ago, (2 alarms!) but disabled the original alarm a few years back as it started to get confused. Speaking to an alarm installer, the original alarm units don't last forever so probably best to add a decent make alarm.