Discovery distribution system

disco111

Hallo everybody

Is there anybody on this forum with a gear set distribution system from Zeus ??

Many years ago I bought one ,and now the timingbelt needs to be changed,but

before starting such a big change I would like to hear if there are some members

with this gear set running on the Discovery.

The work itself is not the problem because I am a mechanic and I work on engines

on a daily basis.The question is:is this system reliable,and what's the noise level

of the gears when ideling ???

Discovery 1 year 1990 chassis :GA series

Many greetings Martin Gent Belgium

Hallo guy's

First of all many thanks for the replay's on my topic.

I have seen most of the comments on the timing gears,one thing is for shure they are verry noisy,

and most off the people who installed them where not happy,some ended up in an engine dissaster.

There is a splitted gear in the set to prevent backlash between the gears did they respected the

tension of the spring in the pignon?normally their there sould be no noise on idling ??

Thats strange,because I am working on wheel loaders now for at least 25 years and most of them

are equiped with Kubota engines with gear distribution system and what's more we never had one

fault on the distribution system.Most of the engines died with a totally blokked air filter or with a leak

on the filterhousing.(terrible working conditions in demolition situations).

I have never seen any wear on the gears an what surprices me is that their made of a soft material

and not hardened at all.Those gears have no backlash system and I can't hear them running.

My conclusion is :not to install them on my 200TDI Disco for daily use but to install them on the engine

of a disco 200 TDI wich I bought for spare parts.The engine is still in a good condition. So we will see

how it will end.

Until later. Thanks again Martin De Smet Gent Belgium

Don't install them as they are completely carp. Just forget it and stick to the rubber belts. The gears are badly made and don't last 5 minutes. If they were better made it might be a proposition but .....

If you search the forums on Zeus gears you will find many answers to this question. (All negative)