oil warning light on and burning oil

dc89

Hi im new to this forum, i have a problem with my 300tdi discovery, yesterday i drove it about 6 miles no faults or issues. Then left it for around two hours then started it up and oil warning light came on. I drove it about two miles but still kept on with a funny popping sounds at random intervals. pulled up took the oil filler cap off and smoke came out of there. it is also majorly underpowered now so am at a complete loss hope someone can help. cheers dale

The turbo might have seized I guess. Take the hose off and see how much play there is in the impeller, or whether there are obvious signs of distress like half the blades or big chunks of the impeller housing missing...

Turbo is lubricated by engine oil. Stuffed shaft allowing oil past into air intake, therefore using oil. You should not drive it as the motor can actually run on the oil that is escaping. If it does it will not stop running until all the oil is used and the motor is completely knackered.

Turbo is lubricated by engine oil. Stuffed shaft allowing oil past into air intake, therefore using oil. You should not drive it as the motor can actually run on the oil that is escaping. If it does it will not stop running until all the oil is used and the motor is completely knackered.

They go like stink though, until the conrods come through the bonnet :)

right an update replaced the turbo with a good second hand unit no play in the shaft however oil warning light still remains on, still burning oil and smoke coming from oil filler cap it is very difficult to turn over and sounds like its almost seized really unsure what could cause it

take injectors out all cylinders, and then turn engine. it should be quite easy to turn with a breaker bar or ratchet on the crank.

if not its probably siezing and on its way out. smoke coming out of filler cap, i think you mean its breathing heavy, which is probably buggered piston rings or headgasket. id think about taking the head off, having a good look inside the engine and inspecting all the bores for any scratches or scoring. in general if you can feel it on your finger, youll need a rebore., and probably do the rings/bottom end bearings too as it cant do any harm.

Maybe you are well into an engine strip by now but, if not, I would seriously consider it. Whilst the oil pump and associated drive are robust and generally reliable, it seems a possibility that you are not achieving oil pressure within the engine, despite plenty of oil in the sump. This could have starved your turbo and be causing partial (soon to be total) seizure of the pistons & bearings. You haven't mentioned engine coolant temperature! Did you notice a rise in engine temperature? It's just possible that the engine oil strainer and suction pipe assembly has detatched from the oil pump body and is laying in the bottom of the sump.

Maybe you are well into an engine strip by now but, if not, I would seriously consider it. Whilst the oil pump and associated drive are robust and generally reliable, it seems a possibility that you are not achieving oil pressure within the engine, despite plenty of oil in the sump. This could have starved your turbo and be causing partial (soon to be total) seizure of the pistons & bearings. You haven't mentioned engine coolant temperature! Did you notice a rise in engine temperature? It's just possible that the engine oil strainer and suction pipe assembly has detatched from the oil pump body and is laying in the bottom of the sump.