Powerless Steering

Hi all,

Been a while since I posted up a problem, must be at least a few months??? RECORD!!!!

Any how, today I'd done 40 miles with no problems, turned a 90 degree corner at low speed (traffic lights had just gone green, so really slowly) No noise's, but nearly hit the curb, no power steering! limped home the last couple of miles, no leaks, steering fluid as it should be, all belts in place and tight???

Just Google'd it and nothing relating to anything on here, read the thread on here for stiff steering http://forums.lr4x4....?showtopic=4563 so I'll check that stuff out in the morning. Just looking for ideas, truck is a 1987 LR 90, running 33x12.5x16 tyres/wheels, pro comp dampers (both for at least a year) Only recently fitted Bearmach HD springs, not sure what lift this has given me, used to have a 3 inch lift, now my truck is 5 1/2 inches taller than an 09' Defender with 31 inch wheels.

Suggestions welcome.

Paul

I think your check list should be:

how stiff are the kingpin swivel bearings? Over tightening or low oil can make them very stiff.

Jammed UJ's in steering column? Quote common

Bent or damaged steering damper? Unlikely, but possible.

Air in the steering box? Easy to check - so should really be first.

Si

Got to check if it is the power steering or something in the steering components tightened up which the power steering is fighting against.

Try jacking both front wheels off the ground, with the engine off it should be quite easy to turn the steering side to side. If it is hard work then the fault is likely to be something other than the power steering so check as Si has siggested.

If the steering is free and light with the wheels off the ground then it is likely to be the power steering at fault. Check for air in the power steering box (bleed nipple on the top), and obviously check there is fluid in the system. After that try turning the steering to full lock and then pull a bit more (with the engine running), you should hear the power steering pump working harder and the pressure release valve in it bypassing a bit of flow. If you do the fault is likely to be in the steering box, if you don't the pump is more likely. If you have another vehicle to do this with which has working power steering it might give you a better idea of what sort of sound I mean.

One more thing I forgot to say earlier, check none of the hoses have become crushed or damaged, not to likely in the circumstances you descibe but possible.

I had intermittent dead/stiff steering a while back, I doused the 2 ujs with ep 90 (that i happened to have handy), and after a few days right as rain, no more stiffies :blink: , and seems much lighter than before. Give it a go, and soak them both.