Removing Panhard Rod

Morning all

I'm trying to remove the panhard rod from my x reg 90, I spent 2 hours on it last night and I could not for the life of me get it out of the axle end bracket.

The Chassis end was tight but with some gentle persuasion it gave up in the end but the axle end!!! I had a jack under the rod right up by the joint, weight of the landy just taken on the jack and than some "gentle" persuasion from the biggest hammer I could find and it still won't come out.

It looks as if the metal sleeve in the middle of the bush has worn away the bracket slightly and now there is a lip on the bracket that i can't get past, is this a common problem and if so what do i need to do about it?? Even bigger hammer or is there another trick??

Have tried levering on the bracket with a pry bar but all i end up doing is compressing the rubber of the bush and not actually exerting any force on the bracket.

Any help gratefully received

Simon

The answer is to slightly spread the bracket ideally. Can you get a chisel between the bush and the bracket? Failing all else, a reciprocating saw or a grinder to cut the very ends of the bush inner tube off and then replace the bush. I assume this is why you are taking it apart anyway.

Chris

yes Chris, trying to replace the bushes, am dreading getting them out if getting the rod itself out is being this much of a pain in the a**s. Will have a go at getting a chisel or something similar in the later.

Cheers

The trick with bushes is to get the centre and rubber out first by drilling, cutting or burning and then remove the outer tube. I usually attack with the reciprocating saw or a regular hacksaw to make a groove in the inside and then use a chisel to cave the tube in, after which it will just fall out. Use a bit of studding, some washers, nuts and sockets as appropriate to press the new one in.

Chris

Thanks for the reply's gents, took me and a mate both armed with pry bars to get it out. one levering it up and the other levering it inwards if that makes sense. Thank god I know someone with a press, it took 9.5 tonnes and lots of heat to remove one of the bushes!!

Thanks again

Simon