lending out tools

YES/NO  

29 members have voted

1. 1. do you lend out your tools?

• yes
    • no
    • maby

Well I borrowed an engine crane today, so am very grateful when people lend bits that you don't have, I guess you take a risk when you lend anything, but I will often try and help people when I can as you never know when you need a hand.

Jason.

I had the privilege of being lent a specific spanner (£80 worth) recently from my local independent Land Rover place - I didn't ask he offered.

It went back the very next day, as clean as new and with a couple of beers.

As he said, "I don't lend to anyone, I happen to know you and reckon you'll treat it correctly"

Malcolm

Jason I think it is well known on here that you are one of the good guys :)

:blush: Cheers Barry,

But the point I was making is I think it's about Karma, sometimes you have to take a risk and lend people things to help them out is that not half the fun of owning a Land Rover, it sure isn't for the build quality or the reliability!!

Jason.

I agree Jason, but you need to assess that risk carefully or you spend more on replacing your tools than you did on buying your Land Rover ;)

It's always a nice feeling when you have helped someone get their Landy back on the road, whether that is by lending tools or muscle :)

I have a small different approach, or maybe big but for me this is the way I like to do it.

I always live the value of the tools/equipment until the people know he can trust me. This way the person who lends me the tools are confident if something happen at least they have the money to replace it.

Thing I’ve found is that it’s not necessarily the people who you’d think would take care of tools who do…

I’ve got two mates with whom I do the majority of my car–related spannering.

One is doing a PhD in engineering, really slow, methodical, careful. Anal even. Has been known to spend several hours buffing up wheel nuts. The other is a real bodgit and scarper merchant. Which one do you think returns the thules in better condition than when they left my possession?

Yep, that’s right, Mr Bodgit-and-scarper! Work that one out.

We will all be familiar with the old folk-warning

"Beware the devil for his iron jaws will strip your nuts, and leave your cotter pin twisted and fatigued. "