bad brakes after dunking in stream

on a play day last sunday i noticed the brakes seamed to go soft with no return from pedal...after crossing a stream..

..it was like air in system...flicking my foot under peddle to pump back up....they stayed good till trying a bit more water....same effect..(stream only 5 or six inchs deep and not driven fast)...ive drove it 50 or so miles since all seams fine no pulling or bad peddle pressure...why?.....

rrc axles rrc early sevrvo v8 efi

Other possible cause could be a bad wheel bearing or hub.

If you have a bad bearing as the wheel wobbles the pads are pushed back further and need a pump before they reset then all is good again till the hub and disc moves again.

Doesn't exactly match your description as the water would not be a factor and I would have expected you to have seen it driving on the road especially after hard cornering or hitting a pot hole..

Won't do any harm to give them a quick check just to rule it out though.

Interesting problem... the only think i can think of is that the water makes the system a bit "sticky" and that the return spring in the vacum servo and master cyclinder can't cope with returning the pedal up - I belive thats all the assistance there is for returning the brake pedal up... whats the state of your vacume servo? - is it possible the spring in there is on its way out? or the master cylinder return spring? - why it would suddenly get worse going through water is a bit of a mystery to me...

Mav