Gas Dampers/Shocks

Log

Hi Folks

Are gas dampers the same as standard oil filled ones in that (forgetting the bushes) the oil ones become less effective over time due to ware on the internal seals, or do the gas ones just suddenly decide to pack in?

Log

Hi Folks

Are gas dampers the same as standard oil filled ones in that (forgetting the bushes) the oil ones become less effective over time due to ware on the internal seals, or do the gas ones just suddenly decide to pack in?

Log

both scenarios are possible.

All dampers 'wear' out, the oil can shear (become thinner) and the valves become les effective and the piston band not seal as well and they can also have a catastrophic internal failure of one or more of these bits.

Yes, Yes. I know all about the various makes of gas shocks on the market. What I want to know is what happens when they get old. After say 80 thousand miles a set of oil shocks are probably shagged out. Is this true for gas ones as well? Does thier performance deteriorate or do they just pack in all of a sudden?

Has anyone here any experience of this?

Cheers

Log

Yes, Yes. I know all about the various makes of gas shocks on the market. What I want to know is what happens when they get old. After say 80 thousand miles a set of oil shocks are probably shagged out. Is this true for gas ones as well? Does thier performance deteriorate or do they just pack in all of a sudden?

Has anyone here any experience of this?

Cheers

Log

Are you asking because you have had some fail, or because you want information on the possibilities with different shocks?

Please don't take this the wrong way

I find that after 80,000 miles most shocks are past there best.

Any more than 80k from a £50-80 shock IMHO is asking alot.

But I do have a caviler attitude and regard shocks as a consuable like a brake disc or a bush and they will need replacing from time to time.

having said that I have been meaning to replace my shocks on my road disco for about 30k and not got round to it...

It is a bit of both some have failed completely were as others just don't damp as well as they could , once they start to ditiriate they all tend to decline repidly.