yellow dots on engine parts

jjojjas

Morning all, Changed my timing belt yesterday and noticed yellow paint spots on some of the bolts. Seen these on my fuel pump also (but I know its a recon one). Just wondering who put them on? Was it a landrover thing, does your motor have them? or is it off some independent garrage trying to "seal" the engine for some sort of warranty?

not important, just curious :huh:

Jas

Normally touch marking (as it's called) is done to confirm that an operation has be carried out. It can be used to show parts have been checked for presence, that the bolt has been torqued or that a rework has been carried out (like the 300 tdi timing belt and pulley rework). It's just an instant visual reference to show that somethings been done.

HTH

Mo

Mo is right, I can't remember where the official spot was but a blob of yellow paint somewhere on the timing case is a marker to show that one of the upgrade kits has been fitted to cure the alignment problem. So yes to all your questions, it can be any of those things :)

Paint marks used all the time to show easily software updates, stock checks, torqueing, material checks etc. If you see lots of different colours on a part, it has had a lot of work done!