Series 3 gearbox. Can I swap it over for a series 2a?

FATBAZIL

I have the chance of buying a factory recond gearbox for a 2a. Its been sitting in a garage for almost 30 yrs! I know that the cluch mechanism is different and that the 2a has no synchro on 1st and 2nd gears. I understand the 2a boxes are better engineered than the series 3.

My question is-Can I swap the bellhousing and clutch release mechanisms from the 3 to the 2a gearboxes? Everything looks OK but just wanted to check first.

Cheers

Mike

• 3 weeks later...

Yes you can, mine is like this. series three clutch and bellhousing with a 11A mainbox. Just be careful though as if i remember correctly the early ones (2A)had a smaller layshaft bearing at the front and so wouldnt fit. If your 2A layshaft sits in the front bearing ok it should be fine. Mine works a treat.

The story that SII booxes are stronger than SIII is an urban legend and is complete rubbish - the strongest standard box for Series LRs (other than the LT85 in the Stage is) is the SIII Suffix D and onwards.. The SIII's single piece lay shaft is stronger than the SII's, while both use the same bearings throughout and a similar main shaft, input pinion and reverse gear.

Yep, a snapped lay shaft. The way that the SIII shafts were made reulted in a lot of changes in diameter, but they didn't radius or fillet the changes, so stresses are concentrated at those step points. The splined nature of the shaft, with its slide-on gears, further weakens the shaft. The SIII shaft, on the other hand, has all but the primary gear (the one that meshes with the input pinion) incorporated on the shaft in one piece and has radiused sectional steps.

Both seem to suffer from the 3rd/4th synchro springs falling out and getting between the gear teeth. S3's seem to chip and break gear teeth on the layshaft.

I wonder if the thicker 'improved' S2a layshaft snaps better than the earlier one with the circlip groove cut into it?