Smokes like a train.. what am i doing wrong?

Josh NZ

It's undriveable currently as the seat box, floor and trans tunnel are out for cleaning/undersealing/soundproofing. !

Big wuzzes in NZ :-) I drove mine up the road sitting on a block of sponge ontop of the fuel tank!

Julian.

Cheeky sod :D I put the seatbox/floor/trans tunnel back on after putting a 4mm thick layer of what is essentially tar for sound/waterproofing. Also bought a new heater and some rust free door bottoms today so that will keep me busy for the next couple of days. Haven't had a chance to drive it yet but threw the injector cleaner into the drivers side tank (as its the only one Ive managed to clean the old fuel+carp out of) so I'm interested to see if it has any effect.

On another note, I tested my new heater and the motor runs beautifully, how do you clean out the part that coolant runs into? I don't want to bugger it by using the wrong technique haha

Mikey- that what I was trying to say previously, just couldn't find the words haha!

At the risk of straying off-topic, I happened across a YouTube epic of none other than brian putting life and limb on the line, pulling a large tractor in a sand pit! I was very impressed, and I have been following your rebuild thread with great interest!

Snagger, can you please elaborate on the additive you talk about? I had thought about using some wynns injector cleaner but I don't have injectors so I don't know if it works, or just a petrol treatment that raises the octane a couple points? We don't get a whole lot of variation in fuel products and the like because NZ is the land of the long white Japanese import haha so never many issues with them! Only a select few are crazy (privileged) enough to own a car of other than jappa descent

cheers. he does get used for hard work and hard play. as any landy should!

i think you can use injector cleaner for cleaning the valves etc.

Right, Wee update.

Attempted to reset the float levels, and blew the carb through. Put the injector cleaner in and ran her for a while to get up to temp, then went for a drive. Blew a whole lot of black smoke when I rung it out to 60mph (VERY long straight road). Then let it sit idling for a bit. Took it for another drive and happy to say it blew no smoke after that. Tweaked my dizzy and adjusted my vernier advance whilst I was out.. Voila! Ran beautifully!

Ran her around for a bit, just cruising at 30 mph.. Then something went pop! Had a look, oil EVERYWHERE. Sounded like it was running on 3 cylinders, then it stopped. Engine has called it quits!

So I'm off down south in the next few weekends to source my new motor, and put it in.

Cheers for all your help guys, i really appreciated it. I've never changed a motor before so I may be back!!