Sudden non starting defender 200

having had a quick peruse i think i need to find cable to solenoid on starter but thought before i bugger something else up i would ask:

truck been fine till jumped in after being parked for half an hour, have full charge and all lights on dash lit, turned key click noise then a repetitive clicking from behind dash and all lights on dash dim and no starter motor fired. after few attempts gave up let it roll forward and bump started it to get home. turned off again full power all dash lights glow full till turn key same issue all warning lights dim and this clicking behind dash.

Any advice?

thanks

There is a relay in the dash which controls current to the starter solenoid. It sounds like the relay is clicking in, but it may have burnt contacts or the solenoid and motor may have a fault. Use a voltmeter or even a lightbulb on a length of wire (with an earth) to check that the terminal at the end of the white wire with red trace on the solenoid is getting power when the key is turned to start. If it is getting power, try giving the solenoid a wallop as they can stick when they get worn - turn the key and listen for the clunk of the solenoid, and if you hear nothing, give the solenoid a solid tap and see if the starter spins up. At leasy you will isolate the fault this way.

Simpler.............so far. After an afternoon of knuckle stripping (not shuffling) and drowning in some of west yorkshires finest sunshine lying on my drive, checked power to solenoid with hammer at ready it was a bit down like next to nowt, back to battery which is flat, put on charge overnight, bugger all in morning. next job new battery and isolator for times it just sits on drive plus a nice new earth strap from engine which was non existent. Then we may get somewhere................he says