Disco TD5 strange clutch noise

mcc1979ian

evening all, for the past couple of years theres been a strange noise (somewhere between a squeal and a groan) coming from my disco (2003 td5) when i lift the clutch, its not all the time but mostly when manouvering at low speed, for example manouvering into a parking space.

anyone any ideas what it could be as its really bugging me now?

latley iv taken ocd with any little faults!!

it could be the spigot bush aswell...but what ever it is it's a gearbox off job so live with it untill it becomes necessary to replace the whole clutch assy...anyway dont forget about the spigot bush then...it's very cheap but could make strange noises and give you troble... people used to forget about it

If you get rattling noises on a TD5 it is normally the flywheel breaking up. You can replace it with a solid flywheel and a clutch with springs in it, possibly the 300tdi version. I think dual-mass flywheels are stupid things, designed to fail and cause unnecessary expense.

The designers (If any) of the TD5 should have KISS branded on their foreheads :moglite: