RV8 Timing

need4speed

Started to setup the cam timing on my engine today. Got No1 to TDC then started to fit the adjustable timing set. A few things concern me however. I always thought that the crank timing gear needed tapping onto the crank? Mine slid on all the way using just me fingers. Also, there seems to be quite a large gap between the keyway and the gear. Could someone have hammered the keyway too far into the recess in the crank or is it ok?

I will post a pic later.

Dont have the stuff that came off im afraid.

Just been looking at P-38 Spares.co.uk and according to them all RV8 crankshaft timing sprockets are same size from 3.5 - 4.6 so dunno whats going on here...

Bit off topic this but a 3.9 block isn't cross bolted (well mine wasn't).

Is the block up to the increased displacement / power?

LR aren't exactly known for over engineering things so can't help thinking that the 3.9 block won't be up to it but would like to get other opinions!

Plenty of 4.6's have been made from 3.9 blocks. FYI some 3.9 blocks are cross-bolted (though mine isnt). Cross-bolting isnt really necessary unless high revs are being planned.

My engine has been built from a brand new 3.9 block, 4.6 crank/rods, 4.0 pistons, ARP hardware. Baring in mind that my engine wont be revving any higher than a normal RV8, the block is well up to it.

I did my timing gear a few months back.. 4.6 block and 3.9 serp front cover (Intermediate)

All fitted really well..

Got the timing gear, compression tappets, cam and pushrods from Turners.

All fitted a treat.

post-1475-0-95769400-1341881488_thumb.jpg

post-1475-0-83032300-1341881508_thumb.jpg

post-1475-0-65046800-1341881534_thumb.jpg

post-1475-0-82907100-1341881562_thumb.jpg

Fitted snugly but was able to fit an remove without implements or tapping the gear home.

Neil

That timing gear set is one I have never seen,

would like to see ore pics but not one I would get excited over at 1st look :)

Anyway, there are different sorts of kits , whatever peeps say,

I know the 5.2 was a learner for me on this, here is some screen grabs that may be of interest :

post-22-0-44224800-1341907294_thumb.jpg post-22-0-20387800-1341907303_thumb.jpg

Also here is a linky, these are the kits I am more familiar with, as ou will see there are different kits :P

http://www.v8wizard....ming_chains.php

Hope all this helps, bit rushed at the mo, but will look in later :) JP Duplex if it will fit is the niceest I have seen for the money :)

Nige

Got the timing gear fitted alright in the end. The problem lay with the woodruff key, or more accurately the prat who hammered it into the crank as far as it would possibly go! That took a bit of removing i can assure you. Anyhow all seems well with it now.

Thanks all for advice

Phil