New gearbox issue?

Hi there. Just re-chassied my 300tdi, 110. As part of the rebuild i replaced the transfer box and gearbox and new clutch kit.

I have 2 issues. One possibly more serious than the other.

Firstly the difflock light is now on after a short drive of say, a mile. I have looked up the procedure for adjusting it and have tried but it has left me with doubts as to wheather the difflock is actually on or not. it definetely goes in to low and high on both difflock and normal.

I have read conflicting info on the forums as to how to ascertain if the difflock is engaged or not, so im confused about how to tell this.

The second more worrying problem is that on several short test drives i seem to be losing drive whilst pulling away, and at the same time there is the sound of spinning gears hitting eachother but not meshing. I have fears about damaging the new boxes ive just bought and installed.

2 questions:

1/ How do i tell if difflock is engaged or not?

2/ Is there any adjustment that can be made to the difflock shiftrod linkage, that would correct this problem?

3/ Anything obvious i should check for.

Thanks, in advance.

1. With the handbrake on and gearbox in neutral and the t/case in Hi or Lo, jack up one front road wheel. If you can then turn that wheel, the centre diff is not engaged.

2. The linkage could be bent, disconnected, or not connected properly. You need to be having a gander at it.

3. See 2.

Did you strip and rebuild the G/box or T/case yourself?

Ray.

I have had the difflock light come on on mine after a few miles, confused the hell out of me. Then after some looking found the breather was blocked. The pressure was actuating the switch.

And as for ashcrofts and problem boxes, I won't even start to tell my story as it only upsets people, but I won't be using them again.

Andy