Project Ubique - Salisbury Plain

DrRob

I've been in contact with Nigel Linge in the past (one of the guys that seem to be driving this)... very sensible chap. It opens up the small links between lanes where they've been classified as bridleways for 100 yards or so of a long byway.

Yep, I agree a fantastic project!

Let's hope the *nob end element of our hobby don't spoil it...punishment should be target practice on their motors.....the Range Wardens already have a hard enough job policing the idiot element.

Any idiots should be reported to the Wardens on 01980 674700

• 1 month later...

So it appears from this map that the byways marked are open to all traffic including the central range road am I right?

http://www.mod.uk/NR..._access_a3l.PDF

Not sure what you mean by central road? If you mean the main one N from the Bustard then that is always open when red flags are not flying as its a BOAT with no TRO.

The link you posted is for the existing network (as shown on current OS maps). Some of the routes will change when this comes into force. See maps 3 and 4 on the MOD site.

If you are unsure of any aspects of legal laning / Salisbury Plain then I recommend you hook up with a club/group/individual who does.

I did it the "hard" way and did it myself via the online county council maps/ council TRO list / paper OS maps / RoW officer contacts to be 100% sure in my mind I was legal and safe (beware UXB!!! :moglite: ). If you mess about up on the Plain you will be caught / reported by others and potentially have your motor taken away.for good! :banned:

That said, on the ground up there there are a multitude of tank tracks and BOATs so navigating is not the easiest task. I invested in a Memory Map 2800 backed up by paper maps etc so I know I'm on the "right" track....

HTH

Rob

I used to drive all over salisbury plain in my student days driving a parcel force van delivering parcels, good memories of getting the van stuck on the range roads getting to farms etc!

I have since returned to my hometown in South Wales but always wanted to return in a defender and do the legal green lanes, judging by the sounds of it Im better off going in a group if the land wardens are that strict!

I found the online right of way maps on the wilts CC site and if only there was a way to download that! as its a very good program to use!

Just ot back from a weekend on the plain - there many many red flags out ( as expected) but there were many many trucks, tanks,planes,helicopters ect to keep us entertained :0) we came a tossed a convoy of 42 "vehicles" some i had no idea what they were or what they might do !! So overall, a load we couldn't do but they kept is entertained to make up for it ,