Clutch Woes

Hi all,

My Defender has been laid up for the last 4 months, pending the carbs being rebuilt. Now that's done, I've started her up, and gone to pull away, and the clutch goes right to the floor icon_cry.gif . It was fine a month ago, because I had to get her towed to my new house.

On checking the fluid reservoir, it was completely empty except for a thick black sludge at the bottom (which I cleaned out).

Today, I went to bleed the clutch, and with the help of a friend I've put an entire liter of fluid through the system. It started coming out a hideous grey/black colour, and after the first 500ml, started to run the right colour.

However, things are just the same as before, and I can't select any gears!

There's no fluid in my footwell, so not sure if its the master cylinder, and the bell-housing drain plug is out, and none is flowing through the hole. The pipes are fine and not leaking. WTF is it going??

And do you think it sounds like a new master cylinder (yes please, nice easy job) or slave cylinder (booo, crappy job!)

Oh, and which slave cylinder would I require? I'm leaning towards FTC5071 as it's apparently the correct one for a V8 with LT77 or LT85 (mine is the 85).

I'm fairly sure I currently have the FTC5072 fitted, as the vehicle used to be a 4-cyl with an LT77, and I think I swapped them straight over - might explain why the clutch was always so heavy!

Would I need a new pushrod?

I really want to use the Landy for a festival at the beginning of next month, if only because I'd actually like to be able to leave the car park!

Cheers all.

I did slave and master together then you know you are safe. They are both easy to change on a 110. I would avoid putting more fluid through as you have done as fluid can contaminate the clutch and cause judder for ages, as mine does! Buy OEM parts from paddocks, they are cheap enough.

Fair enough, thanks for the advice guys.

It definitely sounds like one of them's shafted then?

Master (TRW LUCAS) and slave (unspecified), plus the pushrod and 4 of the dreaded clips (I've done some reading on these!) only come to about £55, so not bad at all.

I will get this b***h back on the road!

• 2 months later...

I had a similar problem. Lost clutch response. I changed the fluid and bled it through. Got the clutch response back, better than ever. It has sat for two days since and now I am back to floppy pedal again. Reservoir at the master is full. No leaks anywhere. Is it worth bleeding again to make sure I haven't got any more air left in there or do I need to go shopping for parts?

I had a similar problem. Lost clutch response. I changed the fluid and bled it through. Got the clutch response back, better than ever. It has sat for two days since and now I am back to floppy pedal again. Reservoir at the master is full. No leaks anywhere. Is it worth bleeding again to make sure I haven't got any more air left in there or do I need to go shopping for parts?

Sounds daft but have you fitted the slave the correct way up? Easy mistake to make but you will never get all of the air out.

Jason