front door choice

I need a pair of new front doors for my 300tdi rebuild, Are the newer steel ones significantly better than the alloy skinned ones?

Will my 300tdi mechanisms fit the newer doors if I decide to go for them or do I need to replace the whole guts as well?

(What started off two years ago as a stripped R380 output shaft has now resulted in a new richards chassis, ashcroft r380, ashcroft disco transfer box, new 300tdi, new wings, new bulkhead, new back door, new rear tub wings etc so might aswell replace the doors with new as well!)

the fact that they are pure steel, means that they dont suffer the electrolytic corrosion like the older doors do, the older ones go porous, when the paint is bubbling along the bottom. if you respray them, moisture can still get through the porous ali, and behind the paint and it will bubble up again. there is probably some form of paint that you can put on to prevent it but its not ideal.

so basically, for longevity new doors would probably be better, but if you get ali skinned doors, make sure they arent bubbling.

and of course make sure you waxoyl inside the frames :). about the window regulators i havent got a clue though.

the newer steel one are lighter, stronger and most importantly galvanised, they are a fairly simple swap you'll need to trim the door card slightly, I was very happy with mine, I got some slightly scratched factory seconds for £400 the pair, shame some idiot dropped a defender on them shortly after they were fitted, replaced with series doors as I'll cry less when they get battered!

I got hold of a full set of shop soiled steel ones. The door cards needed trimming but as they are battered it doesn't matter. Also I had to make a small bracket to connect the older mechanism holder (inner plate or whatever it's called) to the new front doors, the rears were fine.