Car will not rev at a constant speed.

Mark Adams

Hi,

Freelander 1.8 1998

I just managed to scrape a pass on the MOT due to emissions, despite changing the Cat and O2 sensor the problem is caused by the tester not being able to keep the revs at a constant speed to perform a proper test.

When your foot is held at a constant position on the petal it just keeps increasing the revs and will not stay at a constant speed.

I have checked the TPS with my osciloscope and it seems fine but I cant see what else would be causing it.

It idles fine it only occurs when the car is reved when stationary.

Mark.

Thank you for the reply, I have also tried that by plugging in my SP ACR4 to check the RPM and tried both spraying carb cleaner and using propane, the RPM stayed static. I tried around inlet manifold and all pipes.

I have also performed a vacuum pressure test which gave the correct static reading, indicating no leaks.

Mark.

• 2 months later...

Hi FridgeFreezer,

I have connected my Scope to the Lambda sensor signal and it producing a wave form of the correct frequency and amplitude and also responds quickly to WOT.

Using my SP ACR4 to read live data I can see that both the Air temp sensor and CTS and both reading the correct temp (confirmed using a laser thermometer).

Thank you

Mark.

I didnt really see it as a problem,it was just a PIA that was stopping me from getting a customers car through the test.We just assumed the IACV was moving and altering the revs,they normally just stay jacked open when the engine is ready,in anticipation of having to control idle speed.The engine was in good condition and running well,no problems reported by the owner or by fault codes in the engine ecu.

Why dont you just try clamping the hose off and see if it works - cost is only the fuel you use.