crunchy auto when warm ?

coachman

Hello everyone ,what a glorious day we have had ,well in Wakefield anyway . To business , selecting reverse in my auto 300tdi 1994 ( Discovery )is `crunchy ` when warm , I have tried the `old` method of letting the engine /gearbox settle down before selecting reverse but I have had mixed results . I have recently done a oil change on the autobox ,I removed approx 4.5 ltr and replaced with new 4.5 litre . How do I check the oil level on the dip stick ( please ),should I have dropped the filter and checked that ? .The gear change throughout is good it is the crunchy reverse . Thank you ,coachman .

it has to be cold, but with the engine ticking over in neutral to check the oil level.

do you normally change direction as the vehicle is still slowly rolling as this is bad for the boxes,

do you tow a lot with it?

To eelaborate a little ,firstly I may have missdiagnosed / described the problem . Selecting reverse on my auto box is not a problem ,it is when the drive is taken up that a crunch / clunk is heard and felt .I let the vehicle totally stop and I seldom tow . Thankyou all who cared to answer ,coachman

A clunk in taking up drive could be anyone of a number of mechanical things, I'd start by checking your props both the UJ's and the splines as the first and easiest port of call and most central to the box.

Also is this something that happens just when taking up drive in reverse or is it something that occurs whenever the drive is picked up i.e. picking up out of a junction. If its just when taking up reverse then it maybe a mount or something loose around the gearbox thats being moved as drive is being taken up. Perhaps it would be worth getting underneath and making sure everything is tight around the box mounts to remove this possibility?

is it a single clunk, or a juddery clunk. or a grinding clunky crunch?

axlechorous is right, but when checking props etc for play, remember to chock the wheels and leave the handbrake off and out of gear! this is important, as if there is pressure on the driveline you wont feel any play.

another thought, as axlechorous said, does it happen when going forwards, not only that but does it happen when changing direction in general, as when setting off in the same direction you stopped from might not always show the problem, as some of the preload would already be taken up by the autobox trying to "creep" whilst you are holding it on the brakes.

so basically does it also clunk when you change from reverse back to forward? might also be worth checking the drive flanges for spline wear as this can contribute, but is rarely the main problem

They all 'clunk' from the transfer box when the oil is hot and when selecting reverse. i've has 24 years of it ,don't worry if that's the noise you have.

When RRC went over to the Borge Warner transfer box the clunk was gone.