DISCOVERY 2 - SERVICE VEHICLE (EX. POLICE/AMBULANCE) Where to buy?

trendkill

Hello people!

Three friends and I have just signed up for the 2013 Mongol Rally.

For those of you who don't know, It's a charity rally from the UK to Mongolia (Between 8,000-10,000 miles)

The rally starts in July 2013 so we are looking for a suitable vehicle now.

A couple of people have suggested a Suzuki Jimny (Sorry for the bad language) which I think is a S%^T idea!

Looking into the rules, alot of it goes on engine size and age of the car, UNLESS it's an ex service vehicle :D

As I started a Discovery 2 breaking business 12 months ago there are a million parts in the workshop that can be used as spares!

Looking at buying either an ex-police or ex-ambulance. Budget will be around £3k for the initial cost of truck.

Surely someone knows where is a good place to start?!

Any thoughts / comments are welcome...

Thanks in advance!

Withams dispose of all if not most MOD vehicles but you don't see many Disco's go through there, you do see some 4x4 ambulances go through Brightwells so you could start there...

Jason.

I've just had a look, it's changed a lot since he did it in 2005 when everything went to charity. I think I got confused between engine capacity and vehicle cost but I do remember he was scraping around for free parts and service because there was a budget on prep. I'm not so sure about the private company running it and the entry cost but either way if your trip is anything like my friend's you will be in for an amazing time and I wish you the best of luck.

This is one trip I'd love to do one day, when I can afford it. Scrap the idea of an ex service vehicle and £3k costs though, that's not what it's about! Get yourself a nissan micra or something and have some fun WITHOUT a landy :ph34r:

We are lucky enough to have plenty of sponsors lined up - Mostly to do with Land Rovers etc... so that's another reason for going down the route of ex- service.

Sure the trip will be nuts either way. More than likely going to have our fair share of break downs - 10,000 miles in a Land Rover without ANY problems... Not going to happen ;)

Thanks for all your comments so far!!

We are lucky enough to have plenty of sponsors lined up - Mostly to do with Land Rovers etc... so that's another reason for going down the route of ex- service.

Sure the trip will be nuts either way. More than likely going to have our fair share of break downs - 10,000 miles in a Land Rover without ANY problems... Not going to happen ;)

Thanks for all your comments so far!!

I'd be happy going 10k in MY Disco, because I know it. Don't think I could buy a sh Disco and have the same faith, as said laws of prob say you WILL have a break-down!

I did tour Iceland a bit (2kish) in a Suzuki Grand Vitara- quite capable and didnt ever feel like it was going to put a foot wrong (few rocks and a fair bit of snow). That's not a bad cheap alternative tbh.

Dave

• 2 weeks later...