Play in drive flange

Hi All,

A little while back I posted about some noises coming from the rear axle/prop uj it happened when coming off the throttle and sounded like a rumbling nocking sort of noise.

Well I thought that because I have a 2” lift perhaps it was causing the prop to nock given the increased angle. I fitted a 30mm billet spacer to the prop but still the same noise on deceleration.

However whilst fitting the spacer I noticed that the rear axle drive flange (I think it’s called that) had some play as I was able to rotate the flange back and forth about a centimetre but couldn’t detect any lateral play.

Could this be the cause of the noises and if so how do I fix it.

Cheers

J2J

If you are talking about the flange on the front of the diff that the prop bolts to then you will have a small amnount of radial movement , It may be worth checking the play in the hub flanges (driving member) , as later defenders are prone to play there when they went from oil to grease hubs . Just take off the little cap and with handbrake on and wheel jacked up ( on one of your jacks ) try to rotate wheel back and forth looking for movement between axle

shaft and member . HTSH

• 3 weeks later...